General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pennsylvania Helmet Law..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pennsylvania Helmet Law..

They are attempting to reinstate the helmet law in PA again.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...rmFxzAQVw.cspx

One of the things that bugs me is that they are going to attempt to increase insurance rates for those that choose to not wear a helmet, or make it completely mandatory.

My girlfriend and I had a discussion this morning about this, and she believes that if they make it mandatory for people to wear seatbelts (and we're talking about consenting adults here - not minors), then they should also make it mandatory for helmets to be worn. I disagree with the seatbelt law as well - and feel it should be a choice for the driver/rider.

This isn't to say that I don't wear my helmet - 9 times out of 10 - I do. If I am running into town and don't feel like running back upstairs to grab my helmet, I'll run without it - but for long rides - the helmet goes on. I just don't feel that they should have the right to tell us whether we should or should not wear one. Same with seatbelts. I wear one, but it really should be my choice - not some suit in Harrisburg making that decision for me.

PA riders - thoughts? Or anyone for that matter..

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Pa. just west of Gettysburg. I wear a helmet every time I ride BUT I don't think the state should be able to mandate this.
As for the insurance companies.... they'll look for any excuse to up their rates and that's what this is in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a Pa rider, I wear one each and every time I ride the bike unless I need to move it a couple hundred yards.

I like having the choice, but if seatbelts are mandatory, I feel that the state has their right to say that helmets can be too.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

I will support mandatory helmet laws when the US government outlaws all tobacco, alcohol, high school sports and anything else that COULD cost non-users money. If a state could find a way to tax you for not wearing a helmet you can bet helmets would be optional in all 50 states.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain

My girlfriend and I had a discussion this morning about this, and she believes that if they make it mandatory for people to wear seatbelts (and we're talking about consenting adults here - not minors), then they should also make it mandatory for helmets to be worn. I disagree with the seatbelt law as well - and feel it should be a choice for the driver/rider.
I hear this argument alot. I always try to point out to those using it how childish it is. I had to walk to school so does that mean everyone should be forced to walk? If you are forced to wear a helmet does that make my wearing a seatbelt less of an infringement on my rights?
If we see someone losing a freedom should we fight to restore it? Or should we say we have lost a freedom so we have to take away someone elses freedom to make it somehow right?

Michael

Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjr
True - I mean, I think if the police beat up black people for no reason, they should also beat up asians....

No wait a minute, that doesn't make sense.

Seatbelts are just another example of a paternalistic law that should never have existed in a country that claims "freedom" as a a basic ideal. A perfect example of arguing that 2 wrongs make a right.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Keefersan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a PA rider and I choose to wear a helmet. Would like to continue having that option - to choose! The government tries to control far too much of our lives as it is.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live outside of Philly and I wear a helmet anytime I'm riding. I do think it should be a choice the rider makes to wear one or not.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seen it this morning.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seatbelt analogy isn't exactly apples to apples. A primary benefit of a seatbelt is to keep you in the seat if you lose control of the vehicle. It's much easier to recover control if you are actually in the seat.

As for the helmet law? Definitely should be the rider's choice.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania Helmet Law..