General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oklahoma Motorcycle Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
bswearingen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes do not ride to the test without a permit and even with a permit you need a liscensed driver to accompany you. Also where i took the test (ardmore) you are required to bring and wear a helmet

Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

who cares? go get a small scooter to take the test. if you cannot pass a state m/c test, you don't deserve to ride. this comes underthe heading of "don't sweat the small stuff".

Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the class....its worth it.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took my test in louisiana... basically, take written test, then walk outside and wait for driving test... helmet required, instructions were "do a figure eight twice, if your feet touch the ground, you fail"... did and done... i kinda thought it would be worse, the lady instructor said " you drove it here, should be good enough..."
i have not taken the msf course, i know harley offers them, but last i checked it was expensive, like $450... ive been riding for several years, had my close calls and came out alright, but i know my riding skills are lacking in some areas and that i would probably benefit greatly from taking the class.. but damn, i cant think of a time when i got an "extra $450"...

Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

It has been a few years, but I rode my Sportster to the test in Kansas with no permit. I don't think they have them here. The riding test was pretty intense, with riding around cones, and riding a straight line as slow as you can. A 30 mile an hour stoping test, and other stuff I can't remember. I had not ridden much for a while, but passed it with flying colors.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the examiners of my acquaintance would care if a person rode in to take the test, unless the person acted like a jerk. You aren't a jerk, are you?
These guys, in general, don't want you to fail. They don't try to trick you. They just want to see that you can ride the bike properly (yes, they have a bit of latitude).
As for the written test, log on to the Oklahoma's .gov website and look up the PDF file for the motorcycle handbook. The questions aren't hard but it helps to know what the State considers the correct answer.
You are doing the right thing by getting the endorsement. If I encounter a person that has been riding a long time and does not have the "M", I want to know why not. If they have been learning to ride for up to 6-7 months, or so, then I generally give them a "pass" and suggest the very near future would be a good time to go complete the requirements for an endorsement. I think 6-7 months is a reasonable amount of time in which most people can gain the required skills for passing the test. I also point out that if the rider is involved in an accident, most insurance companies will reject claims for both vehicle damage and operator injury if the rider is not legally authorized to be in control of the motorcycle. Check your policy, you may be in for a surprise.
Good luck with your test, I'm sure you will do fine!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bswearingen
yes do not ride to the test without a permit and even with a permit you need a liscensed driver to accompany you. Also where i took the test (ardmore) you are required to bring and wear a helmet
I am going to Ardmore also. The website says you have to have eyes, hands, sleeves, boots, pants, and helmet... so that is what I will have.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Matt990724
Road Master

Thank to all the responses, and the MSF course is on my list of things to do. I do not, however plan to wait until I have a weekend to spare to get the license.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

They talk to you through a walkie-talkie kind of thing....tell you to turn, stop, blah, blah.

I took a friend not too long ago to get his. He was gone maybe 5 minutes... He was doing the same, and got caught at an insurance check point...btw.

Good luck

Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Matt990724
Road Master

I talked to one of the testers at the OKC DMV, when I took the written.. and asked about "how to get the bike here"?

He basically said, he wasn't interested in how the bike got here, that is between the rider and any officer you might encounter on the way.

Now I am really wondering about using a damn trailer....

Quick Reply: Oklahoma Motorcycle Test