General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stern advice to stand down

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Did you have to give him permission to get his wife pregnant too?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 612 Posts

From one Dad to another, you need to back off and let him go his own way.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
RideDglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree he is a grown man, and is free and more than capable to make his own decisions. I would add that I support all of my grown kids decisions, although maybe not all up front. That is why I was careful to put the word "advice" in the subject line of the thread. There were no "orders", or putting my foot down. When I am asked what I think, I tend to make my position clear.

As one poster said, I may have some regret, or remorse on my position, hence posting to an internet forum. There is some truth to that observation and thought the diverse opinions on here might be interesting.

To those who suggest my position may create barrier I may regret that is not true. We spent the rest of the day bbq'ing and enjoying a couple beers while going through his 450 dirt bike that he hasn't ridden for two years.

Many more facets to the situation. So to the posters that suggest I cut the "apron strings" or be banned. All I will say is that you fall in category in my book.

I take pride in the fact that all my grown kids still ask me for advice. To me it means they value it even though they may not heed it.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RideDglide
So my son has been dropping by the local HD dealer hovering around a Nightster on consignment. Keeps trying to lure me in to support his decision to pull the trigger, but I'm not biting. Yesterday he stopped by and said he was on his way to test ride it. I had to be straight with him and told him I don't support his decision and sternly advised him to stand down.
Personally I don't think the time is right. His first child (son) is due in a couple of weeks and I think he should be focusing on raising and spending time with his kid and not out every weekend trying to keep up with my riding schedule. His wife agrees.
Kind of a sucky position to have to take. He is responsible and they are financially stable. He had a sportbike a few years ago and we took many a ride together. On the return trip of one ride, I let him ride my Glide home.
Guess I'm somewhat responsible for him wanting a HD.
Would love nothing more than to be out sharing the road with hime, just think it's not his time.
If he is responsible and financially secure as you say, then what is the concern? Owning a bike and becoming irresponsible are not related. My advise would be to remind him of his responsibilities and make sure he has considered the added costs of a newborn and the life insurance he would need especially if he wants to ride. Ever consider that the stress of a new child on top of today's world is building within him and that an occasional ride with his dad is something he needs?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
RideDglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Did you have to give him permission to get his wife pregnant too?
Just where did you read that I granted or denied him permission? Fkin douchebag.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

hey, you asked for our advice.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
RideDglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by bjewell
"Stand down???" What the hell does that mean? It's none of your damn business and if my pops ever talked to me like that after I was on my own, he sure wouldn't see his grandkids...

What a crock. Stand down, like you're General Patton or something.

Sheesh...
Strong coffee got you wound there pal??

During my service days, stand down meant to take a break, a pause, smoke em if you got em.
So when you ask your pops a question, and you don't like his answer, you tell him it's none of your damn busines... Okay.

Got a short list prepared for reasons not to let him see his grandkids?
Sounds to me like you got one hell of a relationship with yer pops..

While we're jumping to conclusions.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
AEaton10
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe as he's getting ready to have his first kid he is trying to emulate his father. You enjoy riding with him right? Maybe he wants his kid to grow up around a dad who rides.

Maybe as he gets older and is making more adult decisions he sees his time to ride with you slipping away.

Might be presumptuous on many levels but I write these suggestions because I recently found myself in similar shoes. I just had twins. I'm deployed now and purchasing a new HD. Not so sure my dad agrees with the timing or buying a brand new expensive bike for my first. In fact he has given me unsolicited advice more than once on the contrary. I got hooked on the idea after riding my dad's bike once and taking the MSF course. He's not getting any younger and if I never get to ride with him I'll regret it forever. I'm making my own decision. I can afford it and if I wreck it that's what insurance is for.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 AM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You definitely need to stand him down on the Nightster......

Make him get a Dyna

Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rod18cdz
You definitely need to stand him down on the Nightster......

Make him get a Dyna

Quick Reply: Stern advice to stand down