General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here travel with laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't need to carry a lap top on my bike, just read through these three pages wondering if some rabid 1%'er was going to cut lose on you guys for being posers.....Much to my surprise, nobody did. Things are looking up!!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Night aint over yet

Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
sjp3003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My macbook air is only 7 months old but it's done about 2500 miles in my saddlebags and been banged around on travels to Oaxaca, Mexico, Colombia, Uruguay, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and Canada and been dropped a number of times...no glitches, scratches or dents so far

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sjp3003
My macbook air is only 7 months old but it's done about 2500 miles in my saddlebags and been banged around on travels to Oaxaca, Mexico, Colombia, Uruguay, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and Canada and been dropped a number of times...no glitches, scratches or dents so far

And CANADA too hey? Wow, I hear the roads suck there. ;-)

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

I carry a netbook in a padded case, and on a long trip I put that in a dry bag.. I also use it for my TTS programming stuff. However, I did kill a regular laptop hard drive on the bike by . . . and this is the key . . . operating it while it was on the bike . . . . not so good for hard drives. The netbook doesn't have a hard drive and it does 99% of what I need to do when I'm out on the road so . . . . Most of the posts here from folks who say they have not had any problems have not tried running thier lap tops while on the bike, and I would agree, simply transporting you laptop shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't get it wet.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 PM
2%er OG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the best way to get **** on the road.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
suey 1958
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! Looks like the ol laptop is goin for a ride.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Cinci-King
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2%er OG
Its the best way to get **** on the road.
Hey, the dealer told me if I rode an HD that the split tail would line up at my hotel room door

Guess it's a good thing I carry a Netbook...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
LebanonRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I carry a netbook in a padded case, and on a long trip I put that in a dry bag.. I also use it for my TTS programming stuff. However, I did kill a regular laptop hard drive on the bike by . . . and this is the key . . . operating it while it was on the bike . . . . not so good for hard drives. The netbook doesn't have a hard drive and it does 99% of what I need to do when I'm out on the road so . . . . Most of the posts here from folks who say they have not had any problems have not tried running thier lap tops while on the bike, and I would agree, simply transporting you laptop shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't get it wet.
There are quite a few of us with the TTS Mastertune that have done Vtune runs with the laptop hooked up and running with no problems. Granted, I've only got about an hour and a half run time, but no problems. Many of the newer model laptops have some sort of harddrive protection scheme that might mitigate damage.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,498 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I do computer networks for a living, and I go to my clients offices each and every day. My basic laptop bag...I toss it on my luggage rack and cinch it down with bungee cords. Typing from my laptop right now...it still works. And with the great weather in the past 2 weeks..I think 8 out of the past 10 weekdays..I've been riding on the job. I do quite a bit of travel on the road going to clients..nice to ride for work.

My laptop always stays hibernate/suspend also, never shuts down.

I'm sure some ultra el cheapo laptops with lesser grade components may not last as long with the increase in bumps and vibrations...just like they don't stand up to as much regular handling abuse, versus heavier duty business grade laptops. IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad here....like the Ford F-350 or Chevy 3500 on laptops!

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 06-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How many here travel with laptops?