General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took forever, but I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
owend78
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Took forever, but I did it.

I know that it is a simple thing to change a tire, just haven't had that much experience doing them on a bike. First thing this morning, I went a picked up a swing arm jack, tried making one out of wood, got annoyed and moved on. Anyway, took off the mufflers and belt guard and went to work. Took about 5 minutes to get the tire off and I was off to my local indy shop to get the tire mounted, and that's when it happened. As soon as he took off the tire, he called me to the back so that I could see how to use the little tire machine, spoons and all, thought that it was pretty cool of him. Anyway, he got the tire and tube off and I saw something strange. Rust and a good amount off it, on the inside of the rim, but that is not what bothered me.

I looked at the "New last summer" tube that I had paid for the last time I had the tire mounted. Seems I was charged for my old tube and old rim strip. Was slightly pissed. Paid $30 for the tube and, maybe $2 for the rim strip. So the dealer in CT got one over on me, oh well, I'm over it. Was more disappointed than anything else because it was a friend that did the mounting for me last time.

Anyway, indy guy used a wire grind wheel and got all of the excess crap off of the wheel and showed me how to put on the tire, insert the tube and set the bead. Was quite pleased and now all I need to buy is a $15,000 pneumatic tire machine for my garage...

Get back to the house and get the wheel mounted and "adjusted", take it for a test spin and I hear a slight whirring noise. My adjustment was a little off, the belt was tighter than I had thought so I head back to the house and make one final adjustment and good to go. Then, whiled I reviled in the awesomeness of what I had just done, I thought, "Wonder if I can adjust my carb?"

So I got the drill and took the carb off, drilled the little doo-hicky out of the bottom that seals off the mixture screw and played with it for a few moments. And for not being a mechanic, of any kind (I tinker on cars every now and then, but no much) I must have to say that I was quite impressed with what I had done. Most of which I can say I got the knowledge from here and the manual. But reading so many "Damn I broke it" threads and "How do I fix what I broke" threads I was able to do all of the maintenance on the back half of the bike, without looking it up (except torque values). Replace rear brake pads too. One thing is for sure though, final drive belt is good and tracking from front/back very nicely, new tire and brakes and no more backfiring or decel pop from the engine.

Now I am going to have a beer and relax, so thank to all who have learned the hard way (including myself) and asked for help/advise on here, it really helped me.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harbor freight has that tire machine fr like 1500. Still a lot of money but would pay for itself over a lifetime.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
owend78
Tourer

Originally Posted by kevmic28
Harbor freight has that tire machine fr like 1500. Still a lot of money but would pay for itself over a lifetime.

Spent a few hours in there this morning. That is where I got the swingarm jack for $35. I was a pain in the butt to use because of the weight, but I got it. Pretty slick little store too, wanted to buy pretty much everything.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

changed the tires one time myself.... never again....

Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

to break the bead take the tire to the vice on your work bench works like a freaking charm, i change my dads my father in laws and my own tires, spoons are cheap, i have only pinched one tube, cost 20 bucks for a new one (it was my tube), takes me about an hour to take off both tires and swap them and have them back on, adjusting takes a few minutes longer.

when you go to re seat the tire bounce it about 10-15 times on the concrete with 20 or so lbs in the tire, then start to inflate it to specs, never more than about 35 before you have to let the air back out and bounce and re inflate again... till it seats then put the ammount of air you want in and ride...

Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
when you go to re seat the tire bounce it about 10-15 times on the concrete with 20 or so lbs in the tire, then start to inflate it to specs, never more than about 35 before you have to let the air back out and bounce and re inflate again... till it seats then put the ammount of air you want in and ride...

Good tips on tire mounting. When you do put the new tube in, before you mount the tire or after you've got the tire half-way on? I've seen it done both ways but have only done it after initially mounting the tire.

To the OP: The Cycle Hill tire changer is about $350.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kevmic28
HF has a manual tire changer and a MC attachment (if they still carry it). Get them on sale for $50 ea.
You can get spoons for much less.
I used to use some old tire irons that I got for free here and there. Made myself a stand from an old steel car rim, covered the edge with garden hose and duct tape.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM
harleydavidone
Advanced

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
to break the bead take the tire to the vice on your work bench works like a freaking charm, i change my dads my father in laws and my own tires, spoons are cheap, i have only pinched one tube, cost 20 bucks for a new one (it was my tube), takes me about an hour to take off both tires and swap them and have them back on, adjusting takes a few minutes longer.

Yep, thats about the way we do it, with a couple pieces of wood in front of the vise jaws to reach up to the rim! The brake rotor fits nice into a milk crate to hold the tire while using the spoons. Use WD40 & emery to clean the rim if you need it.

Last edited by harleydavidone; 06-15-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
owend78
Tourer

Some handy tips guys, thanks. I'll venture into changing my tires next time. It could be quite interesting.

I'll check it out, might be a great investment.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Good tips on tire mounting. When you do put the new tube in, before you mount the tire or after you've got the tire half-way on? I've seen it done both ways but have only done it after initially mounting the tire.

tire completely on and 20 or so lbs in it, its to make sure their are no wrinkles in the tube

Quick Reply: Took forever, but I did it.