General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Trading

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM
tattoowho
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Trading

I wonder if I could get a little advise, or opinion, or whatever. I'm planning on a Harley being my next bike, but right now I ride a 06 VTX1300R.

Well, a friend of mine has a Harley for sale, Here's his add

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/mcy/2395957596.html

He told me he'd give me this bike, which I know it's something he put together, not the one he regularly rides, but he said he'd trade even with me for my X. He said it's an Ultra but titled assembled.
I've really been thinking about it, but wonder what someone Else's opinion might be. Mine has 30,000 miles on it, and still looks and runs great. I was offered a Sporster even trade once before but said no because it felt small to me. Any way, I know I'd have to get the bike painted, plus the missing parts. It does run, but..
Any input will be appreciated, Ride safe.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not the most experienced rider here or even that experienced with trading bikes but i wouldn't do it. You've got a good reliable bike right now and i just see too many risks with trading it for a "home-built" job. I would just hold onto it a little longer and maybe trade it in on a nice used but newer Harley at the end of this riding season. For some reason a lot of people seem to get rid of theirs every winter. You might still have to pay some payments due to difference in value but you'll probably be better off in the long run.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, it's not and Ultra, or Electra Glide of any means. Looks like a Softail. Maybe a Heritage by the bags. Any idea what year it is? If it does have a 96" motor it would be 07 or newer and I think worth more than your VTX.

Get some more info and let us know a little more about it.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Joker's back
Tourer

If thepaperwork can be transferred and you can spin a wrench, I'd trade for the real bike.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain

nope...keep what you have..or sell it for a down payment..on a real HD

Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Ken Baer
Cruiser

Pass. Looks like you're buying a project with plenty of unknowns, but you're on the right track. I've spent many miles on a VTX1300 and now ride a RK.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by tattoowho
I wonder if I could get a little advise, or opinion, or whatever. I'm planning on a Harley being my next bike, but right now I ride a 06 VTX1300R. ...He told me he'd give me this bike, which I know it's something he put together, not the one he regularly rides, but he said he'd trade even with me for my X. He said it's an Ultra but titled assembled.... Any way, I know I'd have to get the bike painted, plus the missing parts. It does run, but..
Glad you are thinking about getting a Harley; they are great machines...

He is not "giving" you the bike! You are trading your bike (which you know is all together and running) for something that is "put together"...

Assembled title sounds like the equivalent of a special construction (in kali terms) or what is commonly referred to as a "salvage" title?...

It needs paint plus some missing parts?...

It runs but?....

Everything you have asked you have asked you have already answered. DO NOT do it! Bike needs work. You are probably not experienced at working on HDs. You have a "known" quantity and are trading for an "unknown" quantity. What happens when the bike takes a dump because of some sort of problem, any problem. Now what? You ask your friend for some help. And if he he doesn't for whatever reason you are left depending on someone else at shop rates.

I strongly suggest you thank him for the offer and pass on it. The last thing you need is a headache of a bike as your "intro" into the world of Harleys. I am absolutely loyal to the brand (although I own nothing newer than a Shovel). The new bikes do not require a lot of maintenance and wrenching. For the most part MoCo is producing machines that folks seem to enjoy. You need to get THAT experience first before you tackle something that will probably bring you some dog-day afternoons.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM
tattoowho
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, everyone has said what I've been thinking(except the "real bike" comments). I'm going to hold off, wont be that much longer anyway.
I've logged 24,000 of the 30,000 since January of 09, I love riding and definitely don't want to have something I can't ride. Thanks again, ride safe.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tattoowho
Thanks for the input, everyone has said what I've been thinking(except the "real bike" comments).
these guys are just pissed they don't ride a Victory. Some day they'll move up

I'd pass on it as well

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
jthepipeguy38
Cruiser

I would do it but im a sucker for a project

Quick Reply: Considering Trading