General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whirring engine noise, leaking fork and 10k service cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Whirring engine noise, leaking fork and 10k service cost

Hi guys,

So I posted in the sporty section but thought I might get a faster reply here. Don't mean to rush it but tmr is the only day free that i have to bring the bike to a mechanic so im really hoping I'd get a few opinions in here before then.

If I'm not supposed to do this, pls remove the thread. Thanks Mods!

I have a question, I bought my 05 88 custom at 5k miles, and been riding it for 4k miles. So it's sitting at around 9200 miles right now.

I got into an accident about 3 weeks ago and bent the forks, which I have replaced.

PART 1 (whirring/clicking sound)
Just yesterday, when I went on a run with my MC, we were doing 80mph and i suddenly heard a loud whirring/clicking (kind of like when the engine is cooling down) sort of sound coming from the engine area. When I stopped the bike, it went away, also, at lower speeds I don't hear it.

Today, I actually started to hear it when I was cruising around town after going to the bank. It was clicking loudly at 30mph.

I know the guy i bought it from changed synthetic oil at 5k miles, so I doubt it's needing an oilchange, plus the light never came on.

Part 2 (leaking fork)
Also, when i changed the fork tubes, (DIY), i added around 12 quarts of oil (HD fork oil). Just three days ago, I noticed that the left tube was leaking oil from the middle portion. I know that i have placed the seals correctly.

Now, I don't understand why this is happening.

Part 3 (10k service)

I figured, with all that's happening, and my 10k miles service coming up soon, I might as well bring it in to a mechanic to do the 10k mile service. Can anyone shed some light on what will happen during the service, how long it'll take and also how much should I expect to spend on this?

Thank you very much!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Part 1......hard to trace noise.Possibly the the belt tension?

Part 2...... Is 12 oz. the correct amount?.Possible damaged seal?

Part 3......The dealer should have a check list of what will be done.Probly will take about 3 hours and will run about $350-$550.Maybe the service time and cost on Sporty's maybe be less.

Good idea to call a few different dealers for the the service cost.You can also have an indy shop do the service that may save you some money.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 06-28-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

The "clicking" might be a wheel bearing I suppose...are you sure you weren't hearing engine ping?

And, damn, how did you get 12 quarts of oil into the forks? LOL!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your oil? Also you are getting close to an oil change interval according to my manuals. Inspect the bike good. If it has spokes feel for loose ones. Look for rocks in the tire or belt. This could be anything from valve/lifter chatter and cam gear whirl noise to possible bad gas/ too low a octane level. 10k service is expensive in my books but they have a list to check. If you take it to a good reputable mechanic ---tell him what you are hearing.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your owners manual tells you what needs to be done at the 10,000-mile service. Just about all of this can be DIY, if you are careful and thorough.

Since you were unable to get the forks to seal, perhaps you'll need a good mechanic to help.