General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing on the Right? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

[ also willQUOTE=CSI;8515603]Well, part of passing somebody in such a manner SAFELY would be to insure that they know of your presence.

The few times I have been passed on the right, I knew they were there (no head on a swivel either.....I have and use my mirrors). Guy came up, held position to my right rear for a moment, and then zipped on by.

No drama....and even if I had a mind to fight, following him to his destination really wouldn't be worth the time.[/quote]

Well CSI let me add that I usually run 5-10 mph over the speed limit, in deer country. Over 10 mph over will usually get you a ticket in WI, so not too many people pass me. If I was lollygagging 10 under in an area where there was heavy traffic in the opposing lane, I could understand why someone would want to pass me on the right, but I still think it is dangerous. If someone passed me when I'm 10 over, I stand by my fighting words. Also head on a swivel is a state of mind, not a physical actuality. I am usually constantly shifting fixation from front, mirrors, right woods, left woods, roadway, speedo,etc..

Also will be distracted by street rods, pretty girls, rad bikes, sunsets, mountain views, so I'm pretty busy out there and think people should stay out of my safe bubble. Ride safe.

Last edited by Ron750; 06-30-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI
I don't get all twisted around the notion of "I have right of way to the entire lane width".
We do have the legal right of way within our own single lane. It's not a notion, it's the law and absolutely a reasonable expectation. Wait til some goof ball does it and rams into you and your passenger when you're changing sides within your own lane. Or are we supposed to use turn signals when shifting sides in our own lane? It's a dangerous practice, plain and simple.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens. I remember a time when I was seven foot tall and bullet proof. I would have just shook my head and laughed.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
[ also willQUOTE=CSI;8515603]Well, part of passing somebody in such a manner SAFELY would be to insure that they know of your presence.

The few times I have been passed on the right, I knew they were there (no head on a swivel either.....I have and use my mirrors). Guy came up, held position to my right rear for a moment, and then zipped on by.

No drama....and even if I had a mind to fight, following him to his destination really wouldn't be worth the time.
If I was lollygagging 10 under in an area where there was heavy traffic in the opposing lane, I could understand why someone would want to pass me on the right, but I still think it is dangerous.

I am usually constantly shifting fixation from front, mirrors,
[/quote]

There still is no justification to pass on the right. It's illegal and unsafe.

If one is always looking in their mirrors and is "lollygagging" they should be aware if they are holding up traffic and let them pass by hugging the rightside of the lane. Even in upstate NY there are rural roads with shoulders on sections of two lane roads from time to time that are wide enough to function as a lane that are smooth free of debri where a slow poke can ease over onto so the fast moving traffic can pass safely.

Holding up traffic is just wrong as a bike passing you on your right in your own lane.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend who is in his upper 60's who started riding about 6 years ago. He also happens to be a pilot who owns his own plane. So you would naturally think this is a guy who is used to operating by the book (FAA) right? About 2 years ago he was returning from the airport on his King and came upon a guy on a bike that he followed for a few miles. At some point along the ride he decided he needed to pick up his pace as he was running late to meet his wife. He decided that he would pass on the right cause the other rider was riding in the left hand half of the single lane road. As he made his move to pass on the right the rider in front turned right to enter his driveway and my buddy blasted him. Both went down, both went to the hospital. My friend fully admits he was wrong but after the broken bones healed and the law suit was settled he was to shook up to throw his leg over the king again.

Ron750 I'm with you on this one. At no time is it OK to pass on the right! I drove both an ambulance and a fire truck and had to take the "EVOC" (emergency vehicle operators course). We run with Lights and sirens so I know you guys can see me right? Once while transporting a patient to the hospital I made the mistake of passing stopped traffic on the right. My Captain was ridng in the jump seat with me and never said a word. Until we got back to the Firehouse. He then reamed me good and threatened to suspend me from driving if it ever happened again.

The riders of crotch rockets do all manner of dangerous "stunts". I followed one this weekend riding through my small village who rode about a mile on his back tire. I thought to myself he will become a statistic before the end of the summer.

Last edited by wraplock; 06-30-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Reminds me of Darwinism.

So, let's hope he lives long enough to gain the wisdom required of a good rider, and a toast to me (and all of us for that matter) that I/we survived all the stupid things I/we have done in my/our life
That goes ditto for me

Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
If I was lollygagging 10 under in an area where there was heavy traffic in the opposing lane, I could understand why someone would want to pass me on the right, but I still think it is dangerous.

I am usually constantly shifting fixation from front, mirrors,

There still is no justification to pass on the right. It's illegal and unsafe.

If one is always looking in their mirrors and is "lollygagging" they should be aware if they are holding up traffic and let them pass by hugging the rightside of the lane. Even in upstate NY there are rural roads with shoulders on sections of two lane roads from time to time that are wide enough to function as a lane that are smooth free of debri where a slow poke can ease over onto so the fast moving traffic can pass safely.

Holding up traffic is just wrong as a bike passing you on your right in your own lane.[/quote]

Did you read my whole post? I said I usually am 10 over the speed limit. I never lollygag, but I do check mirrors. I was saying how I could understand why someone might get frustrated and pass a slow road hog. But if you pass me who is not a lolygagging roadhog, you better be ready to fight. And that includes any part of my lane. And I am talking about Midwestern 2 lanes where there is an expectation of sane behavior. I wouldn't ride in NYC area on 2 wheels, cause there is an expectation of insane behavior there. I grew up in NYC and my folks still live in Valley Stream.

Don't you check mirrors for possible chaos and death behind you?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
phaugly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand corrected. Thought op meant 2 lanes in the same direction.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

"young kid on crotch rocket "

Says it all, Oh those where the says.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
Well if he came up on you and u were the slower vehicle shouldn't u move over to the right side to let him by? Am I missing something here?
No. You should maintain your lane position and he should move into the left lane to pass you legally.

Quick Reply: Passing on the Right? WTF!