General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practice Emergency Stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 PM
HolePuncher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practice Emergency Stops

This thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-and-why.html, got me thinking about emergency stopping, which most riders never practice.

I was talking with a local motor officer about the "Ride Like a Pro" slow maneuvering techniques which I'd been practicing. His take on that was that it was great for learning slow control for parking lots and to impress your buddies when pulling up to the local watering hole, but that it wasn't going to save your life in an emergency. He related that the best thing that he learned in motor school was emergency braking.

Here is his suggestion:
Find a little-traveled gravel road. At 5mph pull in the clutch and bury your back brake, keep your feet on the pegs/boards with chin up and looking where you want to go until almost stopped and then accelerate out of the stop. Repeat until comfortable, then increase speed in 5 mph increments and do it until you are comfortable at each higher speed. While sliding to a stop, downshift. Do NOT let off the brake when crossed up! He said that they had to do this at 40 mph.

I've practiced this until I know I can lock my back brake and ride it out.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know how this goes at 80 mph, k?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

You might want to inspect your drive belt frequently after riding on gravel roads.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Hell where I live most stops ARE emergency stops.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Hell where I live most stops ARE emergency stops.
Yep Noticed you live in FL ..

Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get enough practice with all the people pulling out in front of me.

Well, probably not enough. I have locked the rear many times with no problems.(did it today and there wasn't even any body in my way, just needed to get slowed down for my turn) It's when the front locks that my *** puckers.

I'll stay off the gravel if at all possible though.

I'm starting to miss that ABS allready since I traded bikes.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking the rear brake accomplishes nothing other than risking a high side.

Learn to modulate both brakes properly. Your front brake provides the vast majority of your stopping power, particularly as the bike's weight shifts forward.

Matt

Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am an MSF RiderCoach and I agree that practicing braking is VERY important. I do not agree to practice skidding or locking either wheel. Practice NOT doing it and you will be just as effective.

The exception is bikes with ABS that learns. You can test limits on the braking system in a parking lot though.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while i believe that being able to threshold brake is a must have skill. skidding to a stop is about the stupidest way to learn it i can imagine. i teach it by riding side by side on a deserted paved road. (using both lanes) . the trainee brakes first with instructions to stop as quick as me. that way they learn to modulate the brakes by having a known safe target(me). we gradually stop harder and harder as the other riders' confidence and ability improve.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by HolePuncher
This thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-and-why.html, got me thinking about emergency stopping, which most riders never practice.

I was talking with a local motor officer about the "Ride Like a Pro" slow maneuvering techniques which I'd been practicing. His take on that was that it was great for learning slow control for parking lots and to impress your buddies when pulling up to the local watering hole, but that it wasn't going to save your life in an emergency. He related that the best thing that he learned in motor school was emergency braking.

Here is his suggestion:
Find a little-traveled gravel road. At 5mph pull in the clutch and bury your back brake, keep your feet on the pegs/boards with chin up and looking where you want to go until almost stopped and then accelerate out of the stop. Repeat until comfortable, then increase speed in 5 mph increments and do it until you are comfortable at each higher speed. While sliding to a stop, downshift. Do NOT let off the brake when crossed up! He said that they had to do this at 40 mph. BTW there are lots of youtube.com videos on hard braking technique on a motorcycle.

I've practiced this until I know I can lock my back brake and ride it out.
The rear brake only provides ~20% of the stopping force. The front brake provides about ~80% of the stopping force. On a bike like a sport or dirt bike where you can lift the rear wheel under hard braking, the front brake applies 100% of the stopping force. You can happily lock up your rear wheel at virtually any speed and keep the bike upright if you are going in a strait line. It is the front wheel that is the problem. It applies virtually all the stopping power but if you lock it up you are crashing for certain. Are you sure he did not tell you to practice with the front? This would make much more sense if he did?

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Practice Emergency Stops