General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This really pisses me off..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

In N.C. is a motorcycle classified as a motor vehicle.
Oh, you better believe it. Property taxes, DMV fees, insurance and licensing requirements, and annual inspections.

Yea, I think that makes them motor vehicles.

And, according to the MADD site, the penalty for vehicular manslaughter while drunk driving in NC 15 months to 480 months.

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 07-24-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
Oh, you better believe it. Property taxes, DMV fees, insurance and licensing requirements, and annual inspections.

Yea, I think that makes them motor vehicles.

And, according to the MADD site, the penalty for vehicular manslaughter while drunk driving in NC 15 months to 480 months.
This case is classified as a misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. I think that it should have been a felony. Just FEI:

Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemeanor (minor crime with a maximum punishment of a year in county jail or only a fine) or a felony punishable by a term in state prison, depending on the circumstances. Gross negligence or driving a few miles over the speed limit might be charged as misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter, but drunk driving resulting in a fatality is most likely treated as felony vehicular manslaughter. Death of a passenger, including a loved one or friend, can be vehicular manslaughter if caused by illegal driving.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
Fireman9513- Yessir, I do want more done to reduce drunk/text/cell talking while driving. All I was saying is that I don't think it's a good idea to hit someone with the full force of the law ONLY when they cause a wreck that kills someone. I think the punishment for drunk/distracted driving ought to be significant to a degree that offenders really take notice, and it curbs behavior. If you get caught drunk behind the wheel, you ought to see some tall fines and lose your license for a few months. Hell, maybe they already do that, I don't know. But the point is that you can't expect people to stop doing something if you only REALLY punish them when they do the worst thing. Hit 'em hard for the first time, and they won't want to have a first time... or most wouldn't.
I'm not going to ever say that a checkpoint is a good idea. This is America- not **** Germany, or Soviet Russia. We have to protect our freedom and we should oppose unwarranted stops. I don't know how you feel about it, but to me it's kind of like the drug war. You give law enforcement too much power and they start to get overly invasive and pretty soon you don't have much privacy or freedom. They may be stopping folks to check on drivers licenses, or insurance, or inebriation, but if they find your gun, or your baseball bat, or any number of other things, don't you think they will prosecute you just the same? It's like a dragnet. "Papers?" I don't support it. And I've got a totally clean criminal record, and wouldn't think about doing drugs. But I understand slippery slopes, and giving away freedoms.
And I'm glad I'm not the guy who has to pull bodies out. There are certain groups in society that end up doing the dirty work so that the rest of us can enjoy safe and tidy lives. Cops, firefighters, ems, military, correctional officers... the list goes on, but those and many others do things that your average car salesman or software writer wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Thats cool man, but on the checkpoint thing, they do them here, U.S. Hwy 17 runs through our town and you would not beleive the druncks they pull off the road when they do them, and quite a bit of drugs also.
I dont rally "like" checkpoints, but am glad the drunks get taken off the road at least at that moment anyhow.
I knew a man that was my dads age, he stayed drunk more then he did sober.
This man lived a few doors down from us and was always being stopped for DUI until they finally took his license, so then he started to drive his Massey Fergusen tractor to the store to buy his alcohol.
He got stopped on the tractor so he started driving the riding lawn mower.
Just 3 doors down from his house in the other direction a city cop lived, one day this guy hops in his pickup and eases up the street just as the cop has backed out of his driveway to go to work, hes in his patrol car, fully marked lights and all, the guy pulls up beside the cop on the wrong side of the road and hollars over to the cop, "hey gizzard lips, wanna race?" well im sure you know he spent that night in jail.
The laws suck and not all judges, magistrates, and cops enforce them the same way.
But anyway, I guess we can all agree that the sentence for this guys actions is pure bull!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, IANAL, but it seems to me that if you are in the process of breaking the law, and cause a fatality, there should be some kind of "special aggravation" or something.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Mars1
Advanced

Well at least he got more than Casey Anthony...still recovering from that one.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Moops
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Part of the problem lies with people like you calling this an "accident." There is no such thing as a vehicle accident. They are all crashes due to negligence. The texting cager INTENTIONALLY chose to NOT pay attention to the road.

When you stop calling them "accidents" and correctly call them crashes, it automatically becomes a much more serious issue.
I agree. Just like there's no such thing as an accidental weapons discharge; it's alway a negligent discharge. Hopefully the family will sue this man for everything he has including the shirt off his back.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
killerk95
Club Member

Kill anyone (not just bikers) due to your own negligence -go to jail. (for years imo) This is total BS!!!! Be careful out there guys, always expect the unexpected. I also think texting and cell phones while driving should be banned nationwide. (with significant enough penalties to deter) Again, my opinion. Those (the many) who make this an everyday practice of course, will disagree with me. Now that the space shuttle is done, I'm pretty sure these knuckleheads aren't relaying the launch codes!!!! Stop the frickin insanity people!!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by killerk95
Kill anyone (not just bikers) due to your own negligence -go to jail. (for years imo) This is total BS!!!! Be careful out there guys, always expect the unexpected. I also think texting and cell phones while driving should be banned nationwide. (with significant enough penalties to deter) Again, my opinion. Those (the many) who make this an everyday practice of course, will disagree with me. Now that the space shuttle is done, I'm pretty sure these knuckleheads aren't relaying the launch codes!!!! Stop the frickin insanity people!!!!
I dunno about sending to jail, what the convicted should do is compensate the victim's family for the amount of money that their victim would have earned had he been alive. Pretty much would have to give up a lot of money at that point, making their life hell and compensate (at least financially) the family for their loss.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
Kill a biker, go to jail! Period!
This is the only way they will realize that this **** is real.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars1
Well at least he got more than Casey Anthony...still recovering from that one.
really? you're recovering from that? exactly how did her actions impact you?