General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking a curve too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I'd jump off mid turn, do a half gainer, land in a perfect two point stance, and wait for applause. I know what you're thinking. Yes it's only possible on a Harley. Won't work on any other make bike.
I'd almost pay money to see that.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see the humor of guys riding OVER THEIR HEADS!

Here's the result from this weekend!

http://fenton.patch.com/articles/west-bloomfield-woman-dies-in-south-holly-road-crash

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRR
I don't see the humor of guys riding OVER THEIR HEADS!

Here's the result from this weekend!

http://fenton.patch.com/articles/west-bloomfield-woman-dies-in-south-holly-road-crash
I live in Novi. Sucks but obviously the guy was riding above his ability. When I ride with my wife, I ride super conservative, super careful. This is what really happens when you go into a curve too fast.

Last edited by barjbar; 08-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Been there done that. Laid her down doing 50 in a rh turn getting off the freway. I was too high in the turn and I knew it so I CHOSE to low side it. $4000.00 to the bike and 1 visit to the ER and 1 week vacation. In your mind you got to be prepaired to crash and play out some senarios. One thing I will add. If I was wearing a nov helmet i dint think it would not have ended well. My head hit the assfault 4 times with no head injuries.

Last edited by soft 02; 08-02-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I'd jump off mid turn, do a half gainer, land in a perfect two point stance, and wait for applause. I know what you're thinking. Yes it's only possible on a Harley. Won't work on any other make bike.
Ok, that made me laugh - hard.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

You just identified the single most common accident with a motorcycle.

You do not touch the brakes. You pick a line and counter steer at where you want to go.

Trust those tires. It is a rare cruiser rider that has a clue as to how much his bike will hang on.

In my area almost all the fatal accidents in the past couple of seasons were riders going to fast coming to a curve and locking up the REAR brake. They make a perfectly straight skid mark to the other side of the road and into the ditch, wall, guard rail, tree or whatever.

Do it like I said and you have a good chance off making it. Sure you may still crash, but do anything else and it is 100% that you will crash.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
One thing I will add. If I was wearing a nov helmet i dint think it would not have ended well. My head hit the assfault 4 times with no head injuries.
Blasphemy!!! Helmets are bad!!!!! (sarcasm)

You should read the thread about pet peeves in the OT forum...buncha guys in there are claiming "laying it down" is due to being a dum@ss.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I am guiltey of bieng an asshat/dumbass. It did cure my need to drag chrome in every corner though.

Last edited by soft 02; 08-02-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by meatsack
Blasphemy!!! Helmets are bad!!!!! (sarcasm)

You should read the thread about pet peeves in the OT forum...buncha guys in there are claiming "laying it down" is due to being a dum@ss.
Yup. "Laying it down" is 101 percent due to being a dumbass...

Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a moron who has drug his knee through almost every turn on Deal's Gap, run expert class at the race track, had a long slide at 120 MPH on my knee and my bike's sidewalls without laying the bike down, hit a large patch of sand in the middle of a very fast turn (couldn't see it due to shade from a tree) and never crashed in a turn, I think I can accurately say there is no reason to end up in the above scenario. The key is to always ride within your limits and know the bike's cornering limits. I always leave a little bit of margin and if it's a new road I'll take it slow enough to not end up surprised to the point of crashing. A lot of people have no idea how far over their bike will go before hard parts start pivoting the bike off the tire contact patch. Also, a lot of people don't realize that you can actually use your front brake while leaned way over in a turn, as long as you're very careful with how much brake pressure you apply. If I ended up in the above scenario I would just roll off the throttle, ease on the front brake a little bit, lean over a little more, look where I want to go and pat myself on the back for doing a good job of saving the turn. Then I would take stock of the lessons I learned from being in over my head in the first place. But that's just me......

Quick Reply: taking a curve too fast