General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Dyna super Glide or 2012 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 AM
scooter_1968
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Dyna super Glide or 2012 Road King

I was set on the dyna, but looking at the 2012 RK's I'm leaning towards to a bit more. I'll be buying this through the Military sales since I'm a contractor deployed with a small group of Marines in Afghanistan. My question is to everyone who has owned one or both models, or someone that is currently riding one or the other. What's the pro's and con's of each. when I take trips they are usually around 2K miles round trip. I've owned my sportster since 2001 and I've finally come to realize I need some comfort for long trips. The engine size is not that big of difference with me btwn 96/103 CI. What I'm looking for is style and comfort on long trips, and this will be my daily ride when I get home as long as it's not raining and it's at least 40 degrees outside. if not then I'll jump in the cage. I'm 5'8" 192lbs. Cost is not really a factor either, i'll be buying the bike out right. Any Input would be great. thanks.

scott

Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 AM
killerk95
Club Member

I've had both a 1999 Dyna Wide Glide & a 2003 RKC. Loved em both for different reasons. The Dyna was a great around town bike, very nimble and fast. OK on trips, but not nearly as comfortable as the RKC on the long hauls. If you have any plans for 2 up riding, the RK would be more comfortable for both you and your passenger. They both are nice bikes but really in 2 very different categories. At the point I had my wide glide I was younger and more into bombing around town. Since getting older, I really prefer the ride of the touring bikes and now have a 2008 StreetGlide. Your choice I guess. I would recommend riding each of them for a day if at all possible and you'll have a better idea on the huge difference between the 2. If you've been taking 2000 + mile trips on a Sportster, than either would be an improvement. With The RK, you have the QD windshield and bags for which to store crap too. Going from the Sporty to the RK would be a huge leap in ride quality and comfort. Maybe you ought to ride a StreetGlide as well. Good luck on your choice & ride safe out there! P.S. I spent 8 years in Charleston at the AFB, loved my time there!

Last edited by killerk95; 08-03-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I just traded in my 05 Superglide for an 09 RKC here's my take.

FXDC pro's -
- Nimble handling
- Quick
- Awesome in city traffic
- Inexpensive (comparatively)

Road King pro's -
- Stable at all speeds in anything short of a hurricane
- Long haul comfort
- Passenger room
- Storage
- Style that can't be touched

Actually if you want to split the difference between a Road King and a Superglide why not go with a switchback? Haven't seen one live yet or any reviews, so it might be the best of both or the worst of both.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For comfort and 2k mile trips it's a no brainer, rk.

My actual preference having owned both an egc and rk is the egc. For me, having a radio is a must for short and long trips.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 AM
scooter_1968
Intermediate

Killerk95,

thanks for the input, another big reason for the upgrade is now our kids are old enough (19/16) that I we can leave them alone for weekend so the wife and I can go for weekend trips together. She hates the ride on the sportty kills her butt even with the mustange seat on it. Thanks again for the input. The more research I do the more I'm leaning towards the RK. And yes Charleston is a wonderful place to live, plenty of riding to do, kayaking etc.

scott

Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The floorboards on that Road King are going to scrape in corners way before the footpegs on the dyna would. However aside from that the ride on the Road King is nicer, the fit and finish is nicer. It's a nicer looking bike. You have to decide which is important to you.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 AM
JimBob
Advanced

Traded in my 2008 FXDC in April for a 2011 FLHR. Still have wife's FXDB. We wanted to be more comfortable on trips- mission accomplished! The Road King ride is in a whole different league than the Dynas, and it's not just a case of different shocks. The Road King frame is much stiffer than the Dyna frame. Around town, the Dyna feels a little lighter while stopping/starting, but, other than that, the Road King just feels so much better. Another plus is the cruise control on the Road King. Makes a huge difference when on the road all day.

Thank you for doing whatever you do in Afghanistan. My son is back over there (Marine) for his sixth tour. Wife and I appreciate what all of you are doing!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 AM
killerk95
Club Member

The Streetglide with fairing, stereo, & cruise is also very nice on the road. You may wanna just have a look at em. I didn't go out looking for a bike with stereo but now having had it for a while, I really use the heck out it. I burn MP3 cd's that run about 9 hours in the cd without repeats. Makes the trips go by fast. The fairing takes a lot of the wind up and over so less fatigue. Having said all that, the Road King is an excellent bike and I may have another one someday.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I have had 2 SuperGlide Customs & 3 RoadKings;including my current '07 King. While the SuperGlide can't be beat for looks, handling and around town, the reason I traded them was I did NOT like the ride on the Dyna with the EFI--it was way too jerky & had a lot of surge that they could NOT tune out with a race tune. The RK ride is far superior. Not to mention resale desireability.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Fnortner
The floorboards on that Road King are going to scrape in corners way before the footpegs on the dyna would.....
The Dyna's are pretty low. According to Harley's specs;
Dyna Custom ground clearance 4.6". Lean angle R-29.5 degrees, L- 30.9.

Road King ground clearance 5.1". Lean angle R-33 degrees, L 31.

I really like my Super Glide and I think a Dyna can do what you want. Factor in some more money for bags, seat, and shield though. But a RK would probably be the better decision for you. It's much more comfortable for you and your wife, already has the bags and shield, plus you can add cruise and ABS if you want to. Add the docking system and you can have a quick release back rest and luggage rack.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dyna super Glide or 2012 Road King