General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay hydrated. You might not notice it at first, but heat exhaustion will catch up with you.

The Alaska Leathers sheepskin or the HD Circulator butt pad will eliminate the swamp-*** that your seat will give you (and prevent a rash that will really make your ride miserable).

If really hot out, stop for lunch/dinner somewhere that has good A/C and take your helmet/jacket/gloves inside with you--don't leave them on the bike in the sun.

Plan your trip to find some tree shaded backroads instead of the superslab. Not only cooler, but usually more fun to ride.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
HaggardSoldier
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, i should have told you that i'm riding a 09 Softail Custom, and i have a full size detachable windsheild. That stock king & queen seat is alot more comfortable than most of the seats i've had. As far as hydration i'm just going to take my issued camel back along and refill it at rest stops. And yeah these triple digit days are going to suck ***, but the farther east i get the cooler it will get i hope. and i also hope it stays dry, "i leave on the 22nd". And about the "if you want to make time dont take women" lol, yeah i know.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did just over 500 miles yesterday on round trip. Hot, hot day. Take lots of water and stop to stretch every couple of hours, late in the day be aware of your reaction time. And be prepared to be pretty worn out at the end of the day.

One other thing, I stopped beside a lake and went for a quick dip, made a huge difference.

Last edited by jazzy jack; 08-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
pottsy
Road Master

What is your route plan? I am assuming pretty much I 40 the whole way to make those kind of miles. Where in NC are you headed to?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

If I was going to ride the Interstate and wanted to make 600 miles per day for 2 days (in 100+ heat), I would start my day at 3 am. It cooler, less traffic and I could avoid the worst of the heat.
I would have 300 miles in before breakfast. Another 300 by early afternoon. I'd get a cheap hotel with a pool and realx for the afternoon. Sleep early and get up and dp it again.
This is NOT how I would prefer to ride but if I had to make the time, it is what I would do.
BTW- Stopping in Memphis? a night on Beale Street does not usually make for an early morning start (and riding with a hangover sux-don't ask me how I know)

Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM
HaggardSoldier
6th Gear

yeah im taking I40 the whole way, and going to greensboro NC. And i've never heard of beale st. but i might have to check that out now lol. I was going to stop in Memphis because its the half way point.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 612 Posts

Don't mistake "West Memphis" for Memphis...it's the "hood" and it sucks. And if at all possible, find a way around Nashville. I traveled about the same route as you almost two months ago exactly. I had to practically parade-walk through traffic for about 15 miles...sucked big time.

Where you at in Oklahoma? I've got a Harley vented seat cushion I'd let you try if interested at no charge. It's a multi-fit for larger seats...fit fine on my Heritage.

Also take some mints, like Tic-Tac...or gum. Keeps your mouth from getting dry. You might also try one of those slip-on throttle rests...saves your hand from cramping up.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 AM
HaggardSoldier
6th Gear

I'm in Lawton "sadly". And thanks for the heads up about west nashville.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 612 Posts

That would be West Memphis...
If you're interested in the cushion, pm your address and I'll send it to ya' to try out. Just send it back when you're done. Here's a pic...

Attached Thumbnails First Long Ride!-100_1691.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Beale Stree is a 4-5 long block that has numerous Blues bars / street performers / beer sold on the sidewalk. It can be a great time but it is easy to overindulge.

Quick Reply: First Long Ride!