General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:31 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Did U have the brakes checked out also...
Just got back last month from a 1550 miles 5 days from North to South Virginia. Blue Ridge Skyline and the Parkway.

Son,32; Friend, 63; and I,61; We took 15 minutes breaks every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Walk around and Drink enough water to stay hydrated.

Sunscreen If its hot and sunny.

Raingear for when It rains

We don't have to wear helmet here a home. but did on the road so a good fitting helmet and shield for riding in the rain would help.

Gloves.

Credit card...

and then just have a good trip and watch for the Idiot cagers....

Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If an open faced helmet be SURE to put sunblock on your face and any exposed skin. Drink a quart of Gatorade each fuel stop and take about 10 min to stretch, then do another tank of gas. Earplugs is a good idea - less fatigue. You've GOT to have comfortable seat that fits you properly or no way you'll make it 600 miles a day.

I can do 650 miles a day easily day after day on the Road King. But different bikes vary in comfort as far as long rides go. Just listen to your body and if you're fatigued or sleepy take a break or call it a nite.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In our weather? This may help too!

http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/product...150_f0802_0444

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
+1 on the monkey butt

Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just checked google maps and it is 634 miles from Lawton to Jackson Tn. Jackson is where you want to stop, DO NOT STOP IN MEMPHIS! I live just east of Jackson and never go to Memphis unless it is a have to case. Nashville would be better but that is 750 miles. Just grab a hotel in Jackson on the east side and around exit 80, there are several new ones and you can hit the interstate in the morning and in about 5 hours be in Knoxville.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Don't mistake "West Memphis" for Memphis...it's the "hood" and it sucks. And if at all possible, find a way around Nashville. I traveled about the same route as you almost two months ago exactly. I had to practically parade-walk through traffic for about 15 miles...sucked big time.

Where you at in Oklahoma? I've got a Harley vented seat cushion I'd let you try if interested at no charge. It's a multi-fit for larger seats...fit fine on my Heritage.

Also take some mints, like Tic-Tac...or gum. Keeps your mouth from getting dry. You might also try one of those slip-on throttle rests...saves your hand from cramping up.
His point about West Memphis is very valid. Stay on I40 until you are almost past Memphis on the east side. There are some decent hotels and restaurants around that area to spend the night at.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
His point about West Memphis is very valid. Stay on I40 until you are almost past Memphis on the east side. There are some decent hotels and restaurants around that area to spend the night at.

Yeah West Memphis is a no no. If you HAVE to stay in Memphis make sure to stay on the east side, exit 14-16 i think. But it is only another 70 miles to Jackson and it is a lot better place to stay.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,948 Likes on 610 Posts

If you get the chance, pull over in Cooksville, TN and grab some breakfast at the "Bean Pot"; small place next to a gas stop right off I-40, but you won't be disappointed...that is if'n y'all like aigz, taters, bizcuts n'gravy.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
If you get the chance, pull over in Cooksville, TN and grab some breakfast at the "Bean Pot"; small place next to a gas stop right off I-40, but you won't be disappointed...that is if'n y'all like aigz, taters, bizcuts n'gravy.
That sounds quite yummy.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HaggardSoldier
yeah im taking I40 the whole way, and going to greensboro NC.
I work in Greensboro and live about 20 miles east. If your trip plans would allow, send me a PM and maybe, we can grab a meal. Also, if you have any mechanical issues while you're in the area, I can offer a trailer, garage and tools.

Quick Reply: First Long Ride!