General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak between Primary and Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak between Primary and Trans

OK, so I have developed a leak between the primary and the tranny and I am curious what is behind here. Guessing from other stuff I have read that it is the shifter seal, but I do not know. So wondering if anyone can help identify what the leak coming from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Phil

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Bad IPB seal.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

looks like it time to pull the primary off!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,973 Likes on 1,721 Posts

The shifter seal will indeed make a mess back there. Pull the inner primary and replace all the seals.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Fatboy 04
Advanced

What you have pointed out is where the bolt goes thur the inter primary. Therefore the leak is coming from the inter primary. There is no seal there. Here is how to repair this leak. The inter primary will need to come off. Then "ALL" the points in the inter primary were a bolt goes thur will need a liberal ammount of silicone. BE VERY CAREFUL! MAKE SURE NO SILICONE GETS IN THE BOLT HOLE THREADs!! If that happens and then you torque the bolts down, that silicone has no place to go. Blocks have been known to crack because of that.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
slyder
Road Master

Could be a main shaft race walking away from the seal. I had this happen on my 99 RK. I had to pull the primary and inner primary then cut the old race off and press a new one on to the CORRECT location. If it does it again your shaft is shot. I got lucky and it stayed put after i replaced it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull the inner and replace all the seals...make no scene if you only replace the defective one

My shifter shaft seal has been leaking slightly for a few years now and as long as I give it a wipe after a ride I never see a drop on the ground...I will get around to fixing it one day.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
skdvr
Tourer

OK, so the leak was not coming from the area that I pointed to in my first photo. That is just where it was dripping onto. The leak is coming from where the shift lever goes into the Tranny. Here is a pic of where the leak is coming from. Kind of hard to see, but you can actually see a drop forming where the arrow is pointing.

Directly below this is what I had pointed to in my first pic that I thought was the leak. Hopefully this helps you guys to help me...

Thanks
Phil

Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM
skdvr
Tourer

So if I pull the primary off this weekend, besides replacing all the seals is there anything else that I should do with it while I have it all apart. I would like to make as few trips to the stealer as possible...

Thanks
Phil

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Shifter shaft seal needs to be replaced. You'll have to pull the outer and inner primary to replace this.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak between Primary and Trans