General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearing Down or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 3,086 Posts

I always downshift to slow down or stop.

I still have the original clutch plates and the original drive belt on in the bike. I replace brake pads about every 20,000 miles, front and rear. Odometer just turned 94,000 miles.

So much for excess wear on the drivetrain.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

A side benefit of downshifting is that it does slow you down, the reason you downshift is to be it the proper gear for whatever speed you are going.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
A side benefit of downshifting is that it does slow you down, the reason you downshift is to be it the proper gear for whatever speed you are going.

Yup, what HarleyFlyBoy said.

I used to drive a big truck and just got used to doing it then, you have to make sure you're in the right gear when you're pulling 80,000 lbs of freight.

Makes a lot of sense on a bike too.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always engine brake. Proper speed...proper gear. Brakes last too......never drift to stop in neutral. At the end...clutch in....first gear engaged. Need to be able to SKAT....just in case.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Been doing it that way for 30+ years, never replaced a clutch, never had a problem.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,556 Posts

The purpose of blipping the throttle a little bit is to bring the RPM of the engine up a bit...to match the speed it should be at when you downshift and engage that next lower gear. This makes it a smoother transition when you let the clutch out. If you didn't blip the throttle..the engine would at near idle RPMs..and when you downshifted and let the clutch out....you'd feel a jerk that knocks you forward because the bikes rear wheel would almost lock up (or could) like slamming on the rear brake.

I tend to ride a bit more "lazy" in my older age, so I don't do this aggressively as much as I used to in my youth. I'll downshift like...twice. Sport bike riders tend to do it a lot more. Harley guys...with their bottom end power and lazier engines..don't as much.

Don't worry about wearing out that wet clutch in your bike. Or the kevlar belt.

Many decades ago rev matching was much more important with non-synchromesh transmissions...including while upshifting on some finicky trannies....combined with double clutching.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

There is no need to blip the throttle on downshifting it does nothing. With that being said i generally use downshifting mainly if i need to decelerate very rapidly. Sometimes especially in town i have no reason to downshift from 3rd to 1st in stop n go traffic. I have dual front calipers on my Roadster but the braking is more powerful then the breaking surface provided by the rubber. If you've ever skidded you will notice only about a 2-3 inch swath of rubber on the ground. Thats not alot for a 600+ lb machine. Engine braking and wheel braking combined is the best but even that is limited at higher speeds.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I believe it's called "rev matching" when you blip the throttle to have a smooth downshift. If I understand correctly, when you do this, the wear on the clutch, as well as the rest of the powertrain, is minimized.

The reason you want to downshift is, as mentioned by others, so you can be in the proper gear for the speed you are travelling. I rarely shift into 1st on a roll, however. I have heard that it's not good for the transmission. I engage 1st once I have stopped.

Rev matching is not hard to learn and the consequences limited. Just don't rev it too much. Give a gentle blip of the throttle as you let the clutch out
I understand where youre coming from....BUT...if we are talking about stopping then you wouldnt want a smooth shift.I would want a harder shift that takes me into the upper end of the lower gears power band(as long as i dont rear wheel skid) and staying off the throttle at this point will work as a brake which i will be doing at the same time.---------now if we are talking about just staying in a proper gear for your speed with no brakeing benefit then what you said would be right.----not trying to sound like an a$$ here either if it comes across that way.
Originally Posted by murd
Become one with your throttle and clutch (friction zone) Practice, practice, practice and you will soon become "one with your bike" Gear down, clutch in... it doesn't matter as long as you are in control.
Ride safe and have fun.
thats about it right there.

the reason big trucks hit he fuel while they are downshifting is because they have such a heavy load that it brings the rpms down real quick...and since they dont use their clutch(rarely) the engine speed much be matched in order to shift....so they rev it up to match truck speed.Its also used to slow down as well.Mandatory for a big truck.I see no need in doing it on a bike since it doesnt take much to slow the bike down to match the lower gear.------------i use to have a sport bike i use to always jam the brakes drop two gear and then do the same again.I could stop on a dime if i had to.You just develop a feel for your bike over time.

Last edited by straydog13; 09-17-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I love this forum...ask a question and get real answers.

(Foodog) "By the time I stop I have shifted into 1st gear. As I slow I like to be in a low enough gear that I can accelerate quickly if a bad situation develops and I need to get away"

(passae) "Always engine brake. Proper speed...proper gear. Brakes last too......never drift to stop in neutral. At the end...clutch in....first gear engaged. Need to be able to SKAT....just in case."

I never thought of having to make a quick getaway incase if a situation, so downshifting makes better sence to me than trying to blip the engine to slow down to a stop
Thanks people for all your opnions.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
There is no need to blip the throttle on downshifting it does nothing.
It avoids the riders back being jerked...and avoids my wifes jaws and teeth from being driven into my shoulder blades. It makes the transition smooth....almost seamless. Engine braking still occurs just fine..once clutch is released...you also have already released the throttle.

I'm talking about doing it low key...like blipping throttle to 1700-1900 or so.....not redlining it like some "look at me" sport bikers or Harley guys do in an attention getting roaring method like cranking it to 5000rpm to dump on every downshift.

Quick Reply: Gearing Down or Not?