General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearing Down or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gearing Down or Not?

I've had my first Harley since june and being 30+ years since I've been on a bike ... a 1979 Kawi 400LTD (great little bike to learn on) when I was 16.
From watching others come to a stop at intersections, some you can hear them kinda snap the motor to bring up the revs and use those revs to shift down...that requires a lotta pratice to master and I'm not sure of the outcome if you don't quite master it soon enough.
Others just quietly come to the intersections using mostly the brakes...I shift down as far as 3rd and then brake and wait to feel the bike begin to labour a bit then push in the clutch and brake to the stop and finish the last 2 gears after I've stopped.
I'm kinda torn of whether I'm wearing out the clutch and brakes sooner or doing more damage not quite timing those rev snaps properly and feeling the front end of the bike go down and hear her groan out those gears slowing down too hard.
Just pickin y'alls brain to find out how its suppose to be done....I wanna do what I can to keep her out of the shop as much as possible.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I engine brake all the time because it slows me down easier. Brake pads & clutch discs are wear items meant to use.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I begin downshifting and slowing as I approach a known stopping point. By the time I stop I have shifted into 1st gear. As I slow I like to be in a low enough gear that I can accelerate quickly if a bad situation develops and I need to get away. You do have to develop a feel for downshift points so you don't over rev the engine or accidentally lock up the rear wheel.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I believe it's called "rev matching" when you blip the throttle to have a smooth downshift. If I understand correctly, when you do this, the wear on the clutch, as well as the rest of the powertrain, is minimized.

The reason you want to downshift is, as mentioned by others, so you can be in the proper gear for the speed you are travelling. I rarely shift into 1st on a roll, however. I have heard that it's not good for the transmission. I engage 1st once I have stopped.

Rev matching is not hard to learn and the consequences limited. Just don't rev it too much. Give a gentle blip of the throttle as you let the clutch out

Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I jam my bike down into each gear and let the clutch fly so that the rear tire locks up for a second or two and makes a nice chirp. There is no good reason to do this, I just think it's fun.

Otherwise, I do like to downshift as I slow so that I am in the proper gear to accelerate and maneuver should a problem arise.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I engine brake until 60 kms/hr then put it into neutral to coast the rest. There are probable better ways to go about it. I found that I less tendency to skid when braking hard in neutral.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Become one with your throttle and clutch (friction zone) Practice, practice, practice and you will soon become "one with your bike" Gear down, clutch in... it doesn't matter as long as you are in control.
Ride safe and have fun.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I jam my bike down into each gear and let the clutch fly so that the rear tire locks up for a second or two and makes a nice chirp. There is no good reason to do this, I just think it's fun.

Otherwise, I do like to downshift as I slow so that I am in the proper gear to accelerate and maneuver should a problem arise.
The girl must love that when she's on the back. lol

Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Theres no need to blip when downshifting...just let the clutch out.
Engine braking is just that, using the engine to slow you down, so why speed up the engine? To prevent damage to the drivetrain??? Not gonna happen.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I was tought by the uk police to ride and always use the blip throttle technique. It's called splash down by the police but don't know why. The main reason is that by matching road speed and engine speed you maintain vehicle stability. Also helps with wear and tear on engine clutch. Etc. It's important to be at the right speed at the right time just in case. It's worth the practice. I've been riding for 25 yrs now so I'm well practice.

Quick Reply: Gearing Down or Not?