General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Rod is the FXR of the New Age

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
At 2,000cc or better, I might become a believer.
Agreed..

mavrick

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
At 2,000cc or better, I might become a believer.
And more hp/torque. It's a pooch.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
I had a Vrod for three years. Nice and fast bike but not a great handling bike. My Dyna can take carve the curves faster.

Also, my Dad and I rode the Tail of the Dragon last year. While not a Vrod, his bike (Yamaha Warrior) has a 240 back tire like all the newer Vrods. Everytime I lead, I rode faster and he complained that "the back tire kept sliping out from under him." One could chalk it up to rider inexperience but it is backed up on the race track. Professional race bikes have minimal rake, a normal size rear tire, and foot controls that allow the rider to shift his weight.

The Vrod was modeled after a DRAG bike: made to go fast in a straight line.
Bingo!!..

I'm not a V-rod hater by any means, and the truth of it is, I think the NRS is a wicked cool bike.. and it's very possible that if the right situation comes along, I'd ride one and be happy..

So, with that said.. to say the XR1200X can't lose a V-Rod on any road or any track.. my reply would be.. nope, wrong answer, thanks for playin'. I ride an XR, and hey, I make no claims to being "joe expert" rider but.. at one time I did hold a WERA license.. and for my money, the XR1200 is without question best handling bike HD makes period.. it doesn't have the top end speeds the V-Rod does.. but you give me a road, or track, with enough turns and curves and it's good bye V-Rod.. Everytime. Period, all stop, end of story.. Even if you take the "me" out of that equation and put two equally skilled road racer's on the two.. the results will be the same..and probably even more biased toward the XR.. 570 vs 700 plus pounds.. the XR can go in faster, brake later, and corner faster than a V-Rod will ever be able to. The XR can hold higher corner speeds, it has better lean angles and it's steering is far faster than the V-Rod's. All that without even getting to stuff like advantages of a proper riding position and control layout. Like the man said..the V-Rod is based on a drag bike.. and it's awesome in that role as evidenced by it's racing record. If.. the V-Rod had any actual potential as a "road racer" my bet is that by now, we'd be seeing the AMA HD V-Rod series. But, that's not the case, what we are seeing, is the AMA HD XR1200 series. Fact is, no road racing organization anywhere runs a bike with the V-Rod's "set up". Drag racing.. absolutely, but not road racing. Again I'm not saying the V-Rod isn't a great bike or that, with the right seat and bar combo it isn't a great bike to run long distances with, or it's not an exceptionally great bike to go fast in a straight line.. but to say it'll turn with or handle at all like an XR.. is a big stretch of the imagination to say the least..

Fact is I almost.. got a V-Rod as a second bike.. that was right up until the day I test rode the XR.. if at some point I can afford a third HD, like I said, the NRS is at the top of the list. And yep, I'm one of those who, although I don't believe they ever will.. would be super interested in a 2000 cc revolution motor in a touring bike..

That's my two cents.. your mileage my vary..

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 09-27-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmmm, I'll just keep my '99 FXR2 thank you.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must say, that i wouldn't try to out maneuver most bikes on turns... the v-rod is what it is, i dump the clutch at 6500 rpm and hope the back tire pushes straight while it spins... i don't worry about my front tire coming up like my sporty... i just worry that the bone head beside can control his launch off the line... oh yah, i also hope that i can get my foot to the shifter(forward controls) before i get to 55 mph(rev limiter,9200rpm). i would say that my bike is not a sport bike but for average riding and peg grinding i will not be left behind. i don't do stupid but i do not do 5 mph below the speed limit either...

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 AM
masonc
Advanced

i have found that most people that talk crap on vrods (hd owners and import both) have never sat on one on the show room floor let alone ride one. most people don't even give it a chance to get the thing started. too many people will never know the potential of this bike because of it. i don't agree with the handeling part but i do agree it will be a very sought after bike 10 years from now. i personally don't like the headlight but there are aftermarket options available to make it more classic looking. i had an 04-a that i rode for 13,000 miles, so i got to know the bike fairly well. i'm no road racer and i scraped my pegs all of the time on regular turns when i wasn't even trying. but..it will flat out sh*t & git when you want it to & you can cruise slowly it if you need to. i had it over 100mph never even clicking into 3rd gear before letting off. it's one of the most versatile bikes on the road today. i ended up trading it in on my current bike (road glide custom) because i wanted some frilly crap like a stereo and hard bags. if hd had a touring version at the time i was trading i would have been all over it.

if you have never ridden one go to a demo days and get on one. i promise you will never forget it.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

On the original topic, I'm not sure if it's the FXR of the new age, the amount sniping about it from other model owners, I would say it's more like the Servicar of the new age or maybe the Aermacchi

Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
I remember when the FXR first came out and guys were bitching and moaning about it looking like a foreign bike. They didnt like the evo, didn't like the frame, and were damn sure to voice their displeasure. I remember hearing the talk about it being "not a real Harley".

Then, almost overnight it was gone. Pretty soon, people realized the beauty of it, the engineering genius of the design. People who rode these bikes understood what they were for.....these bikes were built for purpose.

Here the V-Rod is 10 years old and I've been hearing the same things about it. I've got a secret for you....

This is THE BEST HANDLING Harley that I have ever ridden. This is THE FASTEST stock bike I've ever been on (Harley). This bike looks mean as hell and looks even meaner when you see it on the road. I wonder when Harley moves to the next motor and Touring fram or what not, what will the demand for the V-Rod be?

You can hardly find an FXR today, at least not as easily as a Dyna Super Glide. What can we expect in the next few years and where will the V-Rod take us? Like the title says, I see it as the modern FXR.
Johnny - you really need to take mine out for a spin if you think the V-Rod is the best HANDLING.

Seriously. Not giving you ****. Compared to the touring bikes, the VRSC handles like ***. No lean angle, way too fat back tire, and too much rake.

Fast? Hell yes (for a Harley), but it is not a canyon carver.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by FBL2011
If you say so.
He said so - and I'll agree with him on most of it. Its a very well made machine. Very well designed (albeit heavy for its size). The Revo motor is far superior to the TwinCam.

The only place I'll disagree with him is on the handling. The VRSC handles well for what it is, but at the end of the day, it is to bikes what a Camaro is to the sports car world - brutally powerful in a straight line, but unrefined and has only adequate handling.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
I'll pass. They're different, but they aren't a true harley in my eyes. The Radiator just kills it for me. Ruins the entire styling of the bike imo.
Harley thinks they're a true Harley.

Quick Reply: V-Rod is the FXR of the New Age