General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Rod is the FXR of the New Age

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
tweeter516
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't get over how butt ugly they are. Performance aside they look like crap imo

Old 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

And more hp/torque. It's a pooch.
I would bet this one wasn't a pooch! This is a graph from a V-rod that has an additional 1/2 inch stoke and a slight overbore. Pretty impressive for 95ci. I would say if the MOCO went to 2000 cc by stroking it there would be plenty of torque to go around. I've talked to an ex MOCO employee that said they have put this engine in the touring frame and it was really nice. HD has a problem with spending $1200 more per engine compared to the TwinCam.

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It is!!! And she is very hot!!!
I can post more of her...
[QUOTE=philo111;8864176]
Originally Posted by rlowride
Well....
I have always been v rod indifferent.... Until....
My dad just bought one... His is a 2002. Had 1900 miles on it. Whoever had it, put reduced reach: pegs, seat, and bars...
The bike rides amazingly awesome!!! More of an upright position, not sporty C shaped at all! Fast... And how... Less torque... But plenty of mid and top end! I am not mad at it at all!!

Is that Sweet Looking Girl flipping me off?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY

Have you seen the Ducati with that 240?

The VRod is no Ducati. Not in any way. The comparison is flawed.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by L0W R1D3R
The VRod is no Ducati. Not in any way. The comparison is flawed.
You may have taken my comment out of context. The statement was made ONLY to refute those that say that a bike with a wider tire cannot be made to handle well. A Ducati and a V-Rod are quite dissimilar in other respects.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
You may have taken my comment out of context. The statement was made ONLY to refute those that say that a bike with a wider tire cannot be made to handle well. A Ducati and a V-Rod are quite dissimilar in other respects.
I just don't get the need for a tire that wide.
There are plenty of Jap and Euro bikes that make much more power and are able to put it to the ground with a 180 or 190 tire that has a "normal" profile and can actually corner well.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I spent this September putting 2,000 miles on the XR then I put 2,000 on the NRS going on the same roads. I have been riding since 1956 and have went through over 30 bikes.

I have no problem saying the NRS will out do the XR. But no one has mentioned the Beull Ullysses XB1200 which Harley took a lot of parts from the Buell bins to make the XR. The XB1200 will run circles around the XR and would be able to take the NRS. The XB has 15% more hp stock and 100 lbs less weight than the XR. Plus a much more sophisticated suspension and mass centered build.

My oldest son grew up on motorcycles. He spent many years in California carving canyons and drag racing sport bikes. He was the one that told me I should not pass on a Vrod. He rode them during Sturgis at their test rides in Rapid City. He was very impressed with their handling. HD engineers have found a way that the 240 does not act like it does on other bikes. I had 300 miles on my son's M109 with the 240 and you had to counter steer hard to get it up on the edge to make a turn. On the NRS you don't even notice. On my FSXTC with the 200 I can tell that it takes more effort to initiate a fast turn.

It is a shame that so many HD riders have an attitude about the Vrod. But it is their loss.

Here's how I raised my three boys. This is my son at 9 and I'm on a Yamaha XS1100 which was the fastest production bike of it's day. That was just before sport bikes came into the picture.

The only thing that I noticed on a hard curve was that I leaned more to go the same rate as the XR.

And how do I know how other HD's perform. Well in my garage there is a 07 FXSTC, 08 Buell Ulysses XB1200, 09 XR1200, 10 Dyna Super Glide, 10 Ultra, 12 NRS and a 12 Road Glide. And I ride them all over the place. It's good to be me.

Ride safe and see ya on the road.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-01-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

HD engineers have found a way that the 240 does not act like it does on other bikes
I may not be the best judge of this. The only bike I had ridden that had a 240 tire was a Victory until I did a test ride on a V-Rod Muscle. The Victory was very hard to make it corner. I had to literally force it to lean. I was totally unimpressed. The Muscle on the other hand easily leaned into corners and seemed to handle very well. Now granted, it wasn't like I was riding either through any kind of twisties, both were just in town riding, making turns on city streets, but there was a marked difference between the two bikes. I've heard that the MOCO made a geometry change when the Muscle came out that improved the handling, so I don't know what the pre-'09's were like. When I can afford an additional bike it will be a NRS.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,008 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mavrickFLHR
So, with that said.. to say the XR1200X can't lose a V-Rod on any road or any track.. my reply would be.. nope, wrong answer, thanks for playin'. I ride an XR, and hey, I make no claims to being "joe expert" rider but.. at one time I did hold a WERA license.. and for my money, the XR1200 is without question best handling bike HD makes period.. it doesn't have the top end speeds the V-Rod does.. but you give me a road, or track, with enough turns and curves and it's good bye V-Rod.. Everytime. Period, all stop, end of story.. Even if you take the "me" out of that equation and put two equally skilled road racer's on the two.. the results will be the same..and probably even more biased toward the XR.. 570 vs 700 plus pounds.. the XR can go in faster, brake later, and corner faster than a V-Rod will ever be able to. The XR can hold higher corner speeds, it has better lean angles and it's steering is far faster than the V-Rod's. All that without even getting to stuff like advantages of a proper riding position and control layout. Like the man said..the V-Rod is based on a drag bike.. and it's awesome in that role as evidenced by it's racing record. If.. the V-Rod had any actual potential as a "road racer" my bet is that by now, we'd be seeing the AMA HD V-Rod series. But, that's not the case, what we are seeing, is the AMA HD XR1200 series. Fact is, no road racing organization anywhere runs a bike with the V-Rod's "set up". Drag racing.. absolutely, but not road racing. Again I'm not saying the V-Rod isn't a great bike or that, with the right seat and bar combo it isn't a great bike to run long distances with, or it's not an exceptionally great bike to go fast in a straight line.. but to say it'll turn with or handle at all like an XR.. is a big stretch of the imagination to say the least..
Thank you for making sense.

I'm not a VRod hater either. I think it looks cool, I love the water cooled Revolution engine, and I know it's the fastest stock Harley out there (in a straight line).

The only issue I have is with these delusional guys saying that it handles the twisties on par with an XR1200X, an FXR, or an FXDX for that matter.

Frame geometry (rake, wheelbase), in conjunction with suspension, tires, etc, dictate basic motorcycle handling characteristics. You can change the tires, the shocks, and some parts that will improve ergonomics, but you can't change the frame (unless you cut it, or change the swing arm). With this in mind, given the specs of the VRod, it just isn't possible for it to handle on a par with a FXR, et al. Too heavy, too long, too raked out, too fat of a rear tire, ergonomically sitting in a Barcalounger with your legs stretched out in front of you, and unimpressive lean angles are just a few things that don't contribute to a great handling bike.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Thank you for making sense.

I'm not a VRod hater either. I think it looks cool, I love the water cooled Revolution engine, and I know it's the fastest stock Harley out there (in a straight line).

The only issue I have is with these delusional guys saying that it handles the twisties on par with an XR1200X, an FXR, or an FXDX for that matter.

Frame geometry (rake, wheelbase), in conjunction with suspension, tires, etc, dictate basic motorcycle handling characteristics. You can change the tires, the shocks, and some parts that will improve ergonomics, but you can't change the frame (unless you cut it, or change the swing arm). With this in mind, given the specs of the VRod, it just isn't possible for it to handle on a par with a FXR, et al. Too heavy, too long, too raked out, too fat of a rear tire, ergonomically sitting in a Barcalounger with your legs stretched out in front of you, and unimpressive lean angles are just a few things that don't contribute to a great handling bike.
Some of these guys just don't understand that there is more to "handling" than a smooth ride.
I think someone has to experience it to understand, but most just aren't interested. Not even in learning what makes their bike work, much less how to improve it. Its so much easier for them just to repeat what they heard at the dealer.

Quick Reply: V-Rod is the FXR of the New Age