General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Windshield Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detachable Windshield Questions

Last March I bought a detach. windshield to use for the winter. Never had one before. Do they deflect any wind from the hands or just the chest area? Any ideas on what i can put under the clips to keep from marring the fork tubes. They have a little bit of rubber on the clips, but when i gave it a trial fitting i noticed little places on the fork tubes when i took it off. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Your hands will be in the wind and they will get cold.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Different types of windshields provide different amounts of wind protection. The best thing to do is see if the dealer will let you try the one out that you want. As for marring the forks, not sure what the solution is. My windshield is a Memphis Shades, so the mounts are different.

Last edited by Ganooch; 09-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shield will help a lot with face and chest, but not your hands. I have a HD quick detachable with the C clamps and haven't noticed any marring on the fork tubes.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Detachable windshields from Harley made for Harley bikes are a bit tricky to put on and take off. You just have to be careful to get them on the rubber grommets without banging your forks, headlamps, etc. Once you get the hang of it, they go on pretty quickly and remove easily. Just be careful. Not sure if this is what you are referring to when you say you have "little places on the forks". Once the shield is securely in the mounting grommet nothing should be touching the forks anywhere. Proper alignment is key! And as has been said, your hands will not be protected at all.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
SoALposer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your hands, check your local biker/leather shop and they may have covers that go on the handle bars that you put your hands in, some are long enough to come up almost to your elbows. It coves all the levers and switches. This might help, especially if you have gloves on.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjo
Any ideas on what i can put under the clips to keep from marring the fork tubes. They have a little bit of rubber on the clips, but when i gave it a trial fitting i noticed little places on the fork tubes when i took it off. Thanks for any input.

A wrap of electrical tape around the fork will prevent a mark.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Detachable windshields from Harley made for Harley bikes are a bit tricky to put on and take off. You just have to be careful to get them on the rubber grommets without banging your forks, headlamps, etc. Once you get the hang of it, they go on pretty quickly and remove easily. Just be careful. Not sure if this is what you are referring to when you say you have "little places on the forks". Once the shield is securely in the mounting grommet nothing should be touching the forks anywhere. Proper alignment is key! And as has been said, your hands will not be protected at all.
+1...should be on rubber grommets with nothing touching the forks

Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

For me I think they help a little with the wind, mostly they help keep bugs, sand and rocks or hard things for hitting U in the chest and face.

Most HD shields will give U wind buffering which doesn't bother me, but if U ride with a lid make sure It fits really "SNUG" or it will shake U head pretty good.

I do ride almost 100%with it on, Wife won't ride without it.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
...Not sure if this is what you are referring to when you say you have "little places on the forks"....
I think that he is referring to the clamps that attach to the forks that the windshield then attaches to. He is saying that clamping those to the forks may be causing the finish of the forks to be marred.

OP correct me if I am wrong...

Quick Reply: Detachable Windshield Questions