General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YAPT (Yet Another Pipe Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
NewfieHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 5k miles on the bike since I put the pipes on... definitely not as many as you have. There are different cores available for the python pipes. You might like to try the race core or something for a different sound...

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

I think I finally figured this out. My pipes aren't actually getting quieter. The sound is changing. As the baffles get burned and become less effective, there is more high frequency content to the exhaust note and the pipes start to sound more like drag pipes. They still have the low frequency rumble, but it's harder to hear since there is more high frequency content.

I'm guessing if I put a new set of baffles in my pipes they would sound about the same as they did 15k miles ago. Or I could just buy new pipes....hmm...

And hear I thought I was losing my hearing

Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only have 3k on my Pythons and I think I have gotten used to the sound already. I thought maybe it was just my imagination that they sounded different.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

This is what I found the python baffles to be, so they are not wrapped. If they where they would get louder and more raw sounding as time goes on, loosing the deep sound that wrapped baffles give to Ur note.

In 35k I've had to rewrap my Rush baffles twice with new baffle material to get back the DEEP sound they have.

It would be very hard to plug the louvers in them to where it would alter the sound and I am thinking if so they would be louder cause they would be more like straight pipes.

IMO Ur just getting used to the sound.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oct1949

This is what I found the python baffles to be, so they are not wrapped. If they where they would get louder and more raw sounding, loosing the deep sound that wrapped baffles give to Ur note.

It would be very hard to plug the louvers in them to where it would alter the sound and I am thinking if so they would be louder cause they would be more like straight pipes.

IMO Ur just getting used to the sound.
Could be that I'm getting used to the sound, too.

I may just pull out the baffles over the winter and have a look. I'm not sure which baffles are in the pipes since the Pythons were on it when I bought the bike.

It's also possible that I might have a small exhaust leak somewhere that could be contributing to what I perceive as a change in sound.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was going to reply but your sig has stopped all cogent thoughts in my brain.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
I was going to reply but your sig has stopped all cogent thoughts in my brain.
Seems I've been getting quite a few .. ahem... "complaints" about my avatar...

Maybe I should change it...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsbfxdwg
Seems I've been getting quite a few .. ahem... "complaints" about my avatar...

Maybe I should change it...
Oh Hell NO!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are on to something about the pitch/tone of the exhaust. Some people think our 1.75" baffles are louder than the 2.25" (2.25" is louder and lower). The reality is the 1.75" has a higher pitch or tone and they can hear that pitch better than low ones. It's somewhat common for people to loose hearing of specific tones like the low deep bass from a Harley.
Sound is opinion based and what sounds good to one person might not for the next.
Keep the avatar
-Ryan

Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Huckster
Advanced
Red face Past owner of your WG

Originally Posted by dsbfxdwg
I swear my Python3's are getting quieter as I put on the miles. When I first bought the bike (used about 12k miles ago) the Pythons were on it and I thought "Wow, these things are loud!" They were almost too loud... almost. I was wondering if I would need to put on something quieter.

Now it seems the Pythons continue to get quieter and quieter and don't have the rumble they used to. Are the baffles getting plugged? Maybe I'm just getting used to the noise, but I don't think that's the case.

Anyone else had this experience with pipes?
Hello, What the pipes are getting quieter? The day you bought bike from me; couldn't realize how loud they were as you drove off in the distance!
Just bought a new 2012 Sporty XL1200C. Now THIS is one quiet bike! Was told by local HD Dealership would cost me almost $1,000.00 just to put some slip on's on. Three hours of Dyno test to readjust settings? WTF?

Quick Reply: YAPT (Yet Another Pipe Thread)