General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YAPT (Yet Another Pipe Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAPT (Yet Another Pipe Thread)

I swear my Python3's are getting quieter as I put on the miles. When I first bought the bike (used about 12k miles ago) the Pythons were on it and I thought "Wow, these things are loud!" They were almost too loud... almost. I was wondering if I would need to put on something quieter.

Now it seems the Pythons continue to get quieter and quieter and don't have the rumble they used to. Are the baffles getting plugged? Maybe I'm just getting used to the noise, but I don't think that's the case.

Anyone else had this experience with pipes?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
BillM
Road Captain

Maybe they were so loud your hearing is going. I noticed on my Yammy Warrior that the street sweepers sounded loud to start with but now not so much. Usually as the baffles get older they get louder due to the packing getting burnt. If you have packing in the baffles you could try taking some of that out and it will get VERY noticeable.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BillM
Usually as the baffles get older they get louder due to the packing getting burnt.
This is what I've always experienced before - as the pipes get older the packing gets burned and the pipes get louder, so it's odd that they seem to be getting quieter.

You're right, it could be my hearing going. Maybe I should ask my GF if she thinks I'm having problems with my hearing... nevermind, I know that answer already...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh???

Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Originally Posted by dsbfxdwg
...You're right, it could be my hearing going. Maybe I should ask my GF if she thinks I'm having problems with my hearing... nevermind, I know that answer already...
I hoped you would get the joke about the hearing. I have CRS and CHS according to my wife.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

No one else has experience pipes getting quieter with age?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

As stated above they usually get louder with time if the baffles are the wrapped variety.

Drew

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cobra pipes I had on the Dyna seemed to get quieter also, so I removed the baffles only to find that there was no packing around them, so I sand blasted them clean and reinstalled, the sound still was not as loud as I remembered but not as quiet as before (BUT, it could of been a figment of my imagination also).

Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
NewfieHarley
Cruiser

I have python slip on pipes, put them on myself, they're definately not getting any quieter, but I have gotten used to them and am actually thinking of taking the baffles out for a while

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NewfieHarley
I have python slip on pipes, put them on myself, they're definately not getting any quieter, but I have gotten used to them and am actually thinking of taking the baffles out for a while
How many miles do you have on your pipes? Mine have about 20k. It might all be in my head, or it might not. I definitely think they sound different than they did originally.

Quick Reply: YAPT (Yet Another Pipe Thread)