General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XTRActive Transition lenses

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XTRActive Transition lenses

I need new prescription riding glasses and see that they have a new version of the Transition brand lenses called Transitions XTRActive. They get darker in full sunlight then the regular Transition lenses, but don't get totally clear at night or indoors. Anybody try these yet, and would you recommend them over the regular Transition lenses? How are they for night riding?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just about to post on this; anyone bought these? I was skeptical about night riding with them,but the sales lady didn’t think it would be an issue. I’ve had stuck lenses that I’ve suffered with– so, these should be easy enough to live with.

http://en-us.transitions.com/Products/Transitions-XTRActive/

My insurance got nailed on these new replacement Wiley X prescription glasses; whoa! I hope they are more durable than my original pair. I went with the Jake again that I bought as sunglasses last year and have seemed to hold up reasonably well. At least have them to cannibalize if needed for replacement arms, etc. like I did my original prescription Wiley X that I was less than pleased with.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 03-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
2ropes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suscribed to this thread, I just had an eye exam yesterday and sent a message to SportRX about trying a couple different frames.

I currently have transition lenses that are about 3 years old and they are not good at all during the summer early mornings and late afternoons when the sun is low in the sky. I knew temperature effects the transpositions but the optometrist also said they loose effectiveness as the lenses get older too. I'll inquire about the updated transition when I hear back form SportRX.

I'm going to try a pair of Wiley's Airrage and 7 eye Churada.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got some form of transition lenses not sure if they're the extra or not, they go almost black in strong sunlight and are always very slightly tinted at night, gotta say I like them saves all that changing glasses every time you go out or come indoors, one thing I'd say is make sure you get the toughened lenses case you cop a bug or stone on the road, I'm a shooter so I doubly need them.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Transition lenses never seem to lighten up enough for me. At dusk and nighttime they just seemed way too dark to be safe.

Also mine were effected by the polarized tinting in cars and often wouldn't darken enough.

Sure would like to afford my favorite goggles in a prescription. Right now all my riding is a bit out of focus. I can't read a map, GPS, phone or the stereo without my scripts on.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Transition lenses never seem to lighten up enough for me. At dusk and nighttime they just seemed way too dark to be safe.

Also mine were effected by the polarized tinting in cars and often wouldn't darken enough.

Sure would like to afford my favorite goggles in a prescription. Right now all my riding is a bit out of focus. I can't read a map, GPS, phone or the stereo without my scripts on.
Odd that you don't feel they lighten up in the evenings, I have never had found that to be a problem and I have had many different sets of these lenses over the years. My gripe has always been that they do not get dark enough to suit me. It is true that they basically don't work when you are behind and kind of glass.

If my prescription wasn't so damned expensive I would buy two sets of riding glasses, one a dedicated dark sunglass and the other with transition lenses. One pair of these riding glasses will cost me between $400 and $500.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Transitions XtrAcive lenses in Wiley X Jake Sunglasses | Flickr - Photo Sharing! by Fastfwd01, on Flickr

Got mine in this week and they seem to work really well. It's a little bright in this room (floor to ceiling windows in my office), but they seem to generally get pretty clear and very dark outside.

Looking forward to riding with them this weekend and hopefullly get out at night some too and check out how well they work at night.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

Cool keep us posted, I have 3 different frames coming in to try on and I plan on getting that tint on the chosen one.

Last edited by 2ropes; 04-06-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got driving transitions, they tint behind glass or a face shield. They work well, are polarized, but they are not recommended for night driving, you could, but they are not clear in the dark. What I don't like, they show stress lines in plastic and glass, and as you stack layers of glass/plastic (IE face-shield, windshield, pinlock) you get annoying patterns in the "clear" plastic/glass. They are a color that blocks blue, so when you first take them off, everything seems a little blue, and blue things seem REALLY blue. They don't get really dark, but I think the polarizing and the color reduce glare an eye fatigue without the dark color.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont like them but I suppose I need bifocals but tried them an was dangerous driving anything.Tried them for 3 weeks and went back to a straight script with the dark transitions -------------to dark inside for me

Quick Reply: XTRActive Transition lenses