General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical issues & bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
site351
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Medical issues & bikes

I have a question...maybe for Doctors & attorneys on the board...WOW
I had an ischemic Stroke on May 2 of this year, been over 6 months.
well I'm not back 100% yet and from what my neurologist has indicated, he
wants me to wait til next spring in MAY before he is willing to say I can ride my softail.
He at one time said that I, myself , would know when I could ride...that I could tell
when I was confident enough to ride but has soon back off that phase.
My question..I have other heart issues, artery issues plus the past stroke.
So when does one know WHEN to ride, there are days I just know I could fire up my bike & ride. yet my left leg is still not right, and days I have dizzy spells. Everyone over 60 isn't
like a 30 year old anymore,lol. folks wreck all the time at all ages. I know with my problems
maybe I shouldn't ride ..NEVER AGain !! but I rode over 20 years no problem. everyone at my age should stay off your bike because you know you have been in better physical shape and as you age you can't handle a bike as well. So how does a doctor say, O.K.
its been a year now so you can ride again. its a gamble anyway you look at it. I have a younger friend that was T-boned at an intersection 3 months ago, wasn,t his fault. he barely survived. I want to maximize & extend my life as long as possible but what say I
run off the rode next june or july, god forbid. I'm thinking about selling my Softail for a lighter weight bike. I know I'll screw -up either way I go.. when does a fellow know when its o.k. to ride, when the doctor says or the rider ? what say the hive

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I am 62yo, had my 1st ischemic on July 24 and my 2nd on the 25th. Great doctors and immediate care saved me, I am taking 3 meds every day and started to ride the super glide about 4 weeks later. That was my only medical condition so docs said ok to ride.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm no doctor, but I know that when I ride, a major quantity of endorphins are being released, and must be contributing to my good health! Don't fool yourself though; pronounced dizziness and riding on the street with dazed cagers is not conducive to good health. However, if you are feeling good and feel even better when riding, get a second opinion from another physician. Don't spend too much on doctors' visits, though, as it diminishes one's chrome fund...

Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dizzy spells are a concern if they come on unexpectedly. Even if you are willing to take the risk, is it worth having a spell and involving someone else if you crash? My advice would be that if you have to ask, you probably aren't ready. The leg issue, only you can decide that. Do you have any other deficits from the stroke? If so, they could be a factor too. Ask someone that you trust to watch you when you aren't aware that they are watching and see if they notice anything abnormal about your movement and/or actions.

I hope you can get back on soon. Good luck on your recovery.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
site351
Advanced
Angry

Originally Posted by Simple Man
The dizzy spells are a concern if they come on unexpectedly. Even if you are willing to take the risk, is it worth having a spell and involving someone else if you crash? My advice would be that if you have to ask, you probably aren't ready. The leg issue, only you can decide that. Do you have any other deficits from the stroke? If so, they could be a factor too. Ask someone that you trust to watch you when you aren't aware that they are watching and see if they notice anything abnormal about your movement and/or actions.

I hope you can get back on soon. Good luck on your recovery.
I think straight down the pike I'd Do fine like an interstate but those narrow tight turn
country roads bother me. I read driving off the road kills more bikers than anything else, man's got to know his limitations...as clint said...also..if I wreck & hurt myself...there goes
the medical disability I would guess???? I hate when this happens

Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had some mini strokes, Just got a stent put in & a clot removed. Now on blood thinners until next July. I have had the dizzy spells & other problems.
I decided to start walking daily as a start to getting back in shape. Than as I felt better, I started picking up the pace, Going a lil further weekly.
Took some time but the dizzy crap is gone, I sleep better, Lost some weight & now I do mind work. Starting with coordination & speed. I put 20 bolts, washers & nuts in a pile in front of me & as fast as I could, assembled them all. Couple times per day. Played the grand sons x box, shootin' stuff & racing cars etc, That was awesome!
I am now remarkably better than I was.
took my bike to a huge parking lot & set up obstacles like my coat, gloves, saddle bag covers & started rolling through them. Left turns & right turns. I pushed to the limit & when I was done, I knew in my own mind I was safe to be on the road!
only you will know, Your Doctor will only have an educated guess!
Try this stuff before you sell or quit!
Keep us posted young feller!!
I am 48 but this kind of thing can catch us all.
Hatch.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:31 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hatchetman has some good ideas...get your strength built back up. i have fluid in inner ear/vertigo problems. there are days the meds do not work well-i won't go near the bike on those days. no one really cares if you crash and maim or kill yourself--but it is not right to endanger others by riding when you shouldn't.
be honest with yourself...what if you are out riding and have a relapse and hit and kill some kid on a bicycle? even after you get out of jail--you will have to live with yourself--if you believe in the here after--do you want to rot in hell for all eternity?
let your doctor decide when and if you ride again.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:37 PM
site351
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan conner
hatchetman has some good ideas...get your strength built back up. i have fluid in inner ear/vertigo problems. there are days the meds do not work well-i won't go near the bike on those days. no one really cares if you crash and maim or kill yourself--but it is not right to endanger others by riding when you shouldn't.
be honest with yourself...what if you are out riding and have a relapse and hit and kill some kid on a bicycle? even after you get out of jail--you will have to live with yourself--if you believe in the here after--do you want to rot in hell for all eternity?
let your doctor decide when and if you ride again.
just in the last 12 hrs & talking to my wife,it wiil be may before I fire it back up, she's already
cancelled the insurance months ago...darn it!!!!!!I can't believe this is happening !!!!!

my advice is.... enjoy the good times while you can....cause it will end my friends//

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I know your dilemma. i have COPD and though I don't usually have dizzy spells, any exertion will tax my breathing ability. I wear the cannula at altiudes above 6,000'. I can't exercise to get my weight down and I can't do it to gain any strength either. Getting older sucks big time. Lucky for me, I can still ride all day long with few limitations. But if I got into situation requiring more breath than I can muster, I'm in deep doo doo, without medical assistance.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I knew in my own mind I was safe to be on the road! Only you will know. Hatch.
Wise words imho, and definitely true in my case.

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I'm no doctor, but I know that when I ride, a major quantity of endorphins are being released, and must be contributing to my good health!
I don't know how anyone that rides would argue TORQUEY's point. How long have Dr.s spoken of the minds power to heal the body? At least a few thousand years as far as Eastern medicine is concerned.

My experience is opposite of those mentioned though... as hatchetman points out, I quit riding in the late '90s because I knew something was wrong. Dizzy spells, numb limbs, coordination/cognitive issues, you know, all the stuff you need to ride a motorcycle. No Dr. could accurately diagnose my issues; until I started experiencing double vision. The final straw led to an MRI that led to the ultimate diagnoses of Multiple Sclerosis. After 8 years of multiple cocktails of medications and treatments, I'd regained enough confidence to start riding again, hence the '09 Super Glide. Haven't looked back since that day. I have days, sometimes a week or 2, I don't ride because "I'm just not right" For me, it's not rocket science; maybe it won't be for you either, and if you let the softail go while you're questioning your ability, that's okay... you can always buy another when you change your mind. Thanks for sharing your story, it'll all work out in the end brother.

Quick Reply: Medical issues & bikes