General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF ? Now the wheel manufacturing is going to CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:44 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

"Harley Davidson has decided to shut down their wheel manufacturing unit in Adelaide, Australia and that too just three weeks before Christmas. "

Australia, China? What has changed. Or is Australia, American now?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
"Harley Davidson has decided to shut down their wheel manufacturing unit in Adelaide, Australia and that too just three weeks before Christmas. "

Australia, China? What has changed. Or is Australia, American now?
Get your point, but CHINESE wheels ?? Gimme a frikkin' break

Old 12-11-2011, 12:48 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,163 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Why the complaning about going from Austrailia to China? Shouldn't the complaning have been when it went out of the USA to Austrailia? But then it should really be blamed on the EPA, Check into how many Chrome shops have been closed down due to EPA regs and you'll see why HD sends stuff overseas.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um the spoked rims come from Italy. Had a meeting at work last month about parts incoming from LCC. "Low Cost Countries".

Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

China doesn't have labor unions, which makes this a smart business decision. It's not like the wheels were made in the US anyway. Plus, if you really think about it, this is the "american way" we invent something, get people to buy it, outsource it to the cheapest labor country and are happy with our capitalist society. If your really that bothered by it, trade in your HD and buy something different. Otherwise except this is how Americans have always made money.

P.S. No Americans lost their job in this move, they were to lazy to work or develop skills that would keep them employed. Plus, they couldn't understand why someone with a high school diploma shouldn't make $100,000/year

Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It don't take a degree on here to work out why Harley have done this it's called F###k everyone else were in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .... while we might all hold our steeds and the Americana that is Harley in god like reverence we are the only ones that do it is run by SUITS and ACCOUNTANTS now big time ... every time willie gets rolled out for the rally's and corporate functions when you see him looking at everyone and smiling he ain't pleased to see you he's busy thanking the lord his name ends in Davidson Ker-Ching! $$$$$$$$$$$$ .....

Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea, Mr. Wandell may have impressed the stock market but, he has not impressed me. The quality has gone down, brake rotors, wheel bearings, things that I have NEVER had to replace in tens of thousands of miles. And it's so bad that I've had to wait months for backordered parts. And it seems that more dealerships are going belly up under Mr. Wandell's watch. I'll never understand how good for the market can be bad for business.
I've been riding Harleys for 38 years but. I'll be looking at Victory for my next bike purchase. They have more American made componants, a better warranty and they are making some good looking machines.

Last edited by dc1450; 12-11-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

It's not fair. I wish they would at least pass on the savings from cheap labour to us.
It's greed and greed begets more greed.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

I really wish Indian would have been able to get it together.Always was in love with that basic look..If they had a network of dealers and they were able to bring their prices down to Earth a little I would jump on that in a heartbeat..

Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

More nails in the coffin, only way to stop that chit is reverse the free trade agreement and get some high tariffs back on that Chinease junk. We are stupid

Quick Reply: WTF ? Now the wheel manufacturing is going to CHINA