General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Riders - Your Base Rules & Regs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
mattkenzie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Riders - Your Base Rules & Regs

It seems like there are quite a few military riders on this forum. I understand that the use of mandated and restrictive PPE is a subject that can get some people fired up; that is not the point of this post. I am just curious as to what your local base regulations/restrictions require you to do in order to be able to ride on and off the installation.

There are some things that I know are universal such as being licensed & insured and wearing full pants, long sleeve jackets or shirts, over the ankle boots, DOT helmets & eye protection. What other requirements does your installation impose? Are there any additional hoops that you must jump through in order to ride?

I am currently at Joint Base Lewis McChord in Washington. In order to receive a base decal, we must have the MSF Basic Rider Course, wear a reflective belt, vest or jacket along with shatterproof eye protection at all times. Our Personal Protective Equipment may not contain any offensive logos or Motorcycle Club patches. At the unit level, we must deal with even more ***-pain. A jacket (file) is maintained at the unit level by our senior 'Motorcycle Mentor'. Included is insurance, registration, MSF Data, photos of bike, photos of PPE, a MSF type quiz that we must take annually, counseling on the risk of motorcycling, vehicle inspection sheet and rider evaluation. The evaluation is an annual requirement where the mentor evaluates your riding skills on a variety of roads.

I think the intent is to make the process so painful that individuals choose not to ride. They won't deter me though. Anybody have it worse?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
pt046166
Intermediate

I ride on / off the Naval Shipyard at Portsmouth NH. You have pretty well covered all the requirements except here they require full fingered gloves - civilian riders don't have to wear the orange vest and I have seen a few Organization patches mostly Legion Riders or Combat Vets and as far as I know there has been no issues with them. Biggest issue we have is where and how to display the base stickers. They have ot be on a "permanently attached" fixture of some sort, and it is up to the cop on the gate what consistutes "permanent" - most say if it requires tools to remove it OK.

Good luck up in the Pacific Northwet - lived up in Bremerton for a number of years - loved that part of the country.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower left fork is usually where most stick the pass to. All these requirement are not designed to discourage you from riding; they're designed to keep you educated on the risks and safety of motorcycling, and to discourage you from breaking any laws on/off the base. Without the risk of losing your base riding privileges, you'd be another outlaw as soon as you leave the gates...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Moops
Tourer

I have my DOD decals on a piece of plexi-glass attached to the frame with zip ties. Most people don't even know it's there until I point it out to. Never had a problem with the gate guards about it either.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

When I was active they the senior rider kept a file on all the riders with MSF info, copies of the cards so he could track when someone was coming due, and just what type of bike you had to make sure if it's a sportbike, you took the sportbike course. Other than that, they said vest all the time, most only wore one after dark.

What you guys have up there is over the top instrusive leadership. IMO I think they have gone overboard turning the military into daycare in some aspects. Before I retired it seemed instead of a leader of warriors i was a cub scout den mother.

Last edited by Sgt. Fury; 01-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
softailman1227
Advanced

I agree...they are trying to make it the biggest pain in the *** to ride. I hate riding on base although I'm not giving it up because of a few *** pains. I will say, and this may sound wrong, I refuse to put the decal on my bike since they came out. They haven't enforced it where I'm at, and it really pisses me off that they want me to put a damn sticker on a $20,000 bike! I'm just counting down the days until I can get out!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Default Confused by variation...

I have a metal tag bolted to my lower left fork but I might take it off once I am done here. (I am going to grad school on the Army's dime as a retention incentive.) I understand that the Army no longer requires the DOD sticker to get on their installations. The guy at the Ft. Carson vehicle registration office told me it is only the Navy installations that still require it. But, after reading this thread, I have learned that Joint Base Lewis-McChord requires them. Maybe because it is a joint (ran with the Navy?) base it still requires them. Myself, I am off to Ft. Meade for a few months and then Ft. Bliss, neither of which require the decals.

As far as *** pain goes, I had to put into effect the "mentorship" program at my last duty station in the Netherlands. For me, the only real difference was the high-viz vest. But, others (somewhat understandably) resisted the requirements. But, rules is rules and you can get out and not have to worry about them.

My big project is getting into another MSF course. Apparently, the Army wants that every three years. Doesn't bug me too much. It's a day on a bike and, really, each time I pick up something a little different than the last time.

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Originally Posted by pt046166
I ride on / off the Naval Shipyard at Portsmouth NH. You have pretty well covered all the requirements except here they require full fingered gloves - civilian riders don't have to wear the orange vest and I have seen a few Organization patches mostly Legion Riders or Combat Vets and as far as I know there has been no issues with them. Biggest issue we have is where and how to display the base stickers. They have ot be on a "permanently attached" fixture of some sort, and it is up to the cop on the gate what consistutes "permanent" - most say if it requires tools to remove it OK.

Good luck up in the Pacific Northwet - lived up in Bremerton for a number of years - loved that part of the country.
Air Force here - no decal required, thankfully.

All AF needs full fingered gloves (it's in the AF-wide reg), long sleeve shirt, DOT helmet (or host nation standard if overseas), brightly colored or contrasting upper shirt/jacket during the day and reflective at night, long pants, eye protection, and over the ankle boots. Vest is not required, but it does meet the day and night requirements (I've got the HD one). Mentorship program is pretty low key for us. My unit treats it more like a riding club so that makes it fun - but still meets the requirements.

I was not crazy about all the nanny regs at first, since I rode sportbikes in shorts and no helmet back in my stupid days before the military. The more I think about it though (and I'm 42), the more much of it makes sense. The military pays for my medical coverage, so the way I see it they get a say. With the quality/variety of gear these days, you can pretty much find something comfortable and non-dorky looking for every situation. Plus, I'm a captive audience at least for the next few years. Let's just hope my mesh gear keeps me cooler in the heat - otherwise I'll be cursing the military while I sweat.

PT - I grew up next to the Shipyard. That's a great area and I'll be back there for good in 2014 after I retire. I may or may not be wearing an orange HD hi-vis vest....

Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Originally Posted by mattkenzie
It seems like there are quite a few military riders on this forum. I understand that the use of mandated and restrictive PPE is a subject that can get some people fired up; that is not the point of this post. I am just curious as to what your local base regulations/restrictions require you to do in order to be able to ride on and off the installation.

There are some things that I know are universal such as being licensed & insured and wearing full pants, long sleeve jackets or shirts, over the ankle boots, DOT helmets & eye protection. What other requirements does your installation impose? Are there any additional hoops that you must jump through in order to ride?

I am currently at Joint Base Lewis McChord in Washington. In order to receive a base decal, we must have the MSF Basic Rider Course, wear a reflective belt, vest or jacket along with shatterproof eye protection at all times. Our Personal Protective Equipment may not contain any offensive logos or Motorcycle Club patches. At the unit level, we must deal with even more ***-pain. A jacket (file) is maintained at the unit level by our senior 'Motorcycle Mentor'. Included is insurance, registration, MSF Data, photos of bike, photos of PPE, a MSF type quiz that we must take annually, counseling on the risk of motorcycling, vehicle inspection sheet and rider evaluation. The evaluation is an annual requirement where the mentor evaluates your riding skills on a variety of roads.

I think the intent is to make the process so painful that individuals choose not to ride. They won't deter me though. Anybody have it worse?
Wow, Lewis-McChord is out of control. A mentor evaluates your riding skills? Is that person MSF instructor qualified? That is over the top. Vehicle inspection sheet? Again, over the top. What good does photos of the bike do? Is that just a unit thing imposed by some over-zealous commander?

When I retire, I will probably wear most if not all of the PPE I wear now. The difference is - it will be my choice. A previous poster said it correctly - we are a bunch of den mothers at times....

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM
mattkenzie
Road Master

Originally Posted by steveusaf
Wow, Lewis-McChord is out of control. A mentor evaluates your riding skills? Is that person MSF instructor qualified? That is over the top. Vehicle inspection sheet? Again, over the top. What good does photos of the bike do? Is that just a unit thing imposed by some over-zealous commander?
Yes, the unit level requirements are from the 'Good Idea Fairy' (Unit Commander) who boasts about having the most comprehensive Motorcycle Safety Program on the installation.

No, the mentor is not MSF certified. He is a skilled, experienced rider and helluva guy who despises this additional duty. I almost feel bad for him.

The pictures are just silly. I mean, come on; I had to take a picture of my reflective vest!

Quick Reply: Military Riders - Your Base Rules & Regs