General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you stop riding when
You had your first child
29.90%
You had your second, third, etc children
9.28%
When your kids were between 5-14
10.31%
Never stopped riding
51.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

How many stopped riding when they had young children?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many stopped riding when they had young children?

Okay, I am faced with the increasing awareness that motorcycling is not a safe hobby. This never really bothered me before I had kids but now I am becoming more aware everytime I ride. I will say I have never been in a bad accident (knock on wood) and am fairly safe when I ride. But overall, I am just curious how many people stopped riding when they had children and when did you start riding again?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,622 Posts

I *started* riding when my kids were 8 and 10.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on my 4th bike in about 25 years. The first bike I had a close call after my Son was born and sold it shortly thereafter. The second bike I bought about 5 years later and sold it a few years later when I was just getting that 'feeling' and didn't find myself enjoying riding as much as I should. They were both small underpowered bikes (sukuki 450's). My first Harley I bought used about 3 years ago. It was a much bigger bike than I was used to (02 Electra Glide) but actually found it more 'user friendly' than the smaller bikes. I traded it for my 10 Road Glide and can't get enough riding time.

I think if that voice in your head is telling you now isn't the time to be riding it may be worth listening to. I wouldn't make a rash decision but if you find yourself not enjoying the ride it's always a hobby you can pick up again in later years like I did.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Stopped briefly, then came to my senses... realizing I missed riding too much and that I could die slipping on soap in the tub more so than riding....

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

everything stops when kids show up nothing returns till they get around 10 or so that's also when you start to sleep good again

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I never stopped. I rode quite a bit less because of it but after like a year or so I could sneak off now and again for a little tour. I was in an accident 7 years ago that almost killed me. It was a long haul before the doc gave me the ok to get back in the saddle again (head injury among other things). I had 4 kids at home at the time. The way I look at it is that we are all walking on a real thin line. I could be walking across the street and have a massive heart attack. I could have a stroke brought on by my head injury. I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about what might be. That's just the way I see it. Everyone's different. It's all your choice dude!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never stopped but I did up my insurance coverage when both of my children were born to put my then wife at ease if something were to happen to me. Now that the kids are raised and on their own the Ex is no longer on those policies..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, looks like I'm the first person to answer the poll. It's not truly accurate though. I had actually sold my bike during a move from VA to IL, with the intent to purchase another Harley in Decatur, IL. Never did, then started having kids and just put it out of my mind due to having the small kids. Definition of SAFE-FREE from danger. The fact of the matter, no matter how safe we think we are in any endeavor we undertake, there is ALWAYS a degree of danger. The question becomes, to what degree of danger are you willing to expose yourself to, and are you willing to accept the consequences of those risks; not only for yourself, but for you wife and kids. It was 95 when I sold that bike, and I just picked up my 08 in 2010, so I went for 15 years with not riding. When I got on that FatBob, all the old feelings came right back and I wondered how I had given it up for 15 years. My boys are still at home, but older 15 and 12. Not that I'm ready for them to be without me, but if something happens to me, it's not like they grew up without a dad. The fact of the matter is, you can be the safest motorcyclist in the world and the idiot talking on their cell phone takes you out when you're sitting at a stop light. If you and yours are willing to accept the possibility that every time you get on that bike, you may not come home, or you may not come home whole, then keep on riding. Ultimately, you need to ask yourself that question even if you don't have kids. Having kids just affects some more people. If you ask yourself that question and you don't like the answer, it's time to put it up for sale. You will get all kinds of answers on here, good luck on your decision. Sorry for the long winded answer. I love riding my bike, and if you read other posts on here about helmets and safety gear you'll see a full spectrum of answers. One of the things that helps me answer that question and keep riding is I temper the risk by wearing a full face helmet most times, half helmet DOT sometimes though, riding jacket with armor, boots, and gloves, glasses. Had a guy ask me why I wear that when it's 100 degrees outside. One, when you're moving, it really isn't that hot, and two, I try to do what I can do to make it a safe ride and give myself the best chances to make it back home to my wife and kids. Those are MY choices. Sorry for the longwinded reply. I also upped my insurance for my wife and kids sake.

Last edited by Texasbrons; 01-08-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
CopInDixie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold my FZ1 after my first son was born. Stayed away from street bikes for 10 years, then I bought a friends Electra Glide Standard last year. Once I started getting the itch to ride again, I couldn't shake it! I'm enjoying the Harley much more than the Yamaha, and the wife likes the fact that I don't ride wheelies anymore

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Quite frankly, I am glad to see that you are aware of the risks of riding a motorcycle. Whether or not you have kids, it's risky. We can be safe, wear all the gear, and do it all right, and still all it takes is some tommy-teenager or sorry-*** drunk to end life as we know it.

Personally, I could not afford a motorcycle when we had our kids. Heck I was 24 when the first one came along, and 26 when the second arrived. But one thing is for sure, your family depends upon you in many ways, and you have to ask yourself whether or not you are willing to gamble that some joker won't kill, or worse, disable you in a crash.

You have one chance to be there for your kids. You have all kinds of time after they are gone to ride. It just depends upon who and what you put first in your life. And for everyone that becomes a very personal choice.

Quick Reply: How many stopped riding when they had young children?