General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm gonna get crucified for asking this, but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,079 Likes on 17,539 Posts

For everything you'd have to do get something like that to work just ramp the fucer into the back of a pickup and go . You know what they say , " It's to far just take the car " .

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I know what you mean

Trying to take bike on bumper hitch is not a good idea. Better option without trailer would be front wheel hitch. Wheel chock that fits in hitch receiver. Seen it used and looks secure.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by inthechateau
Trying to take bike on bumper hitch is not a good idea. Better option without trailer would be front wheel hitch. Wheel chock that fits in hitch receiver. Seen it used and looks secure.
Back when you could drop a chain off and bikes tended to be somewhat smaller that was an option doing it , with a belt drive bike that weighs in around 700lbs ???????? .

Get your head around this picture , you do the front wheel hitch don't secure the shift arm solidly hit a bump and the bike jumps into gear at 40mph dry & cold .

I'd think about it with a throw away junker or a dirt bike , a harley ? Not happening .

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't say what kind of vehicle you would be driving, but if it's not a full size rec vehicle, then there's a pretty significant safety issue with your plan. If you put 700-800 pounds on the back end of a full size car or truck, or even an SUV, it will take away a lot of traction from the front end of the vehcile. If you get into some rain, that could be disasterous at highway speeds. Do you really want to put your family in that position? I mean, even there is a LITTLE chance...

My suggestion is to trailor it.

Mike

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Not what you're looking for, but another member posted this company & I've been pondering to get one ever since. If you have space constraints - would be nice "small footprint" trailer to own...tad $pendy @ $1500 though...my only negative.

http://www.stingertrailer.com/

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Are you talking about the hitch mount that you just have to put the front wheel in and crank up the front end of the bike. And the rear tire stays on the road ? Becuse I have seen this type of hitch with a harley in it. And was think about the stress on the steering neck. I was liking it because it is truly a one person trailer.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Not what you're looking for, but another member posted this company & I've been pondering to get one ever since. If you have space constraints - would be nice "small footprint" trailer to own...tad $pendy @ $1500 though...my only negative.

http://www.stingertrailer.com/
$1500 ouch, Would be in my garage for $600 to $700 for sure.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Are you talking about the hitch mount that you just have to put the front wheel in and crank up the front end of the bike. And the rear tire stays on the road ? Becuse I have seen this type of hitch with a harley in it. And was think about the stress on the steering neck. I was liking it because it is truly a one person trailer.
You may have a point with these new ***** metal frames harley uses anymore , the big concern is the transmission .

When you tow the rear wheel is on the ground the main drive gear is spinning at road speeds so any hard bump like a pot hole or speed bump your run the chance of something shifting and engaging . That setup was popular back in the late 70's and it ate a lot of bikes from this problem including ripping a few off the backs of the cars when the wheel locked up . If you can move the wheel enough to pull the belt off and tie it up out of the way it will work but the risk is very real do on line research and go back in the records a ways . it didn't work worth a **** then why would it now ? Around town very shot trips maybe , on the highway at speed it's your bike just think it through a bit it could cost you big .

Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I too am liking the trailer you suggested Iceman24.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have exactly what you are talking about.. I bought it when my 2000 Road King began to approach 100000 miles.. I did not want to try to teach the wife how to haul and back-up a trailer to come and get me when the eventual breakdown occured.. We use it with a Ford Excursion.. Needs a Class 4 hitch... Excursion has soft spring and a Superduty frame, so we keep it about 65mph when hauling.. Have used it with a friends one ton truck and no such speed restrictions..

Moe Taters

Quick Reply: I'm gonna get crucified for asking this, but....