General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finned head bolt bridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,514 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Why put covers on an air cooled engine?
May not be restricting air flow all that much over engine surface or block that much heat from radiating off engine. But it all adds up.
Dunno for sure, but i would imagine they would lower your engine temp. slightly since you are adding more cooling fins. 'Course I ain't no engineer in thermodynamics.

Reason I asked about the sparkplugs is 'cause I always like to blow out the area around the plugs before removal 'cause of all the little pebbles & other road crud that gets in there, and wouldn't wanna hafta remove the bridge to do it. I think I may pick up a pair for each bike. I'm gonna do every little thing I can think of for increased cooling, like a race tune, & oil cooler, to my RKC before Summer 'cause it runs too damn hot. Don't laugh;even thinking about one of those parade fans. Yea, they do look a little Victoryish, but the engine was the only thing looks wise I ever liked about the Vics.

Last edited by dickey; 01-23-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I have had on my bike for a year now and love them. Not any problems with them!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,053 Likes on 2,210 Posts

You can blow them out Dickey they only contact @ the head bolt. I do the same thing when checking plugs with the air. I think they clean that side of the motor up and really don't care what anybody thinks of them dieselsmith.Your bike your money do as you please.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Bartley1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one come loose in Colorado last year. Heard a racket/clanking and couldn't figure out what it was. Put my finger on the bridge and it was loose. I took it off and have not put it back on. It looked nice but was difficult to install/remove due to limited space and travel of the tool. Looks stupid with just one. May take the other off and put a cap over the head bolts.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my Limited. I like the look and the install took about 20 minutes.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Bartley1
Had one come loose in Colorado last year. Heard a racket/clanking and couldn't figure out what it was. Put my finger on the bridge and it was loose. I took it off and have not put it back on. It looked nice but was difficult to install/remove due to limited space and travel of the tool. Looks stupid with just one. May take the other off and put a cap over the head bolts.
They kept comming loose on my 02 FLHT. Took them off when I bought my 06 FLHT. Put them on the 06. Came loose on that bike too. Took them off and never put them back on. Any budy wanna buy them?....

Trucky911

Last edited by Trucky911; 01-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

Have it on my 03 King for about 8yrs. I like the way it cleans up the area around the plugs. The rear one was loose about 3yrs ago, but tightened up and no probs since. Although, it did take me about a month to figure out what the rattle was! It's always the simple things.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Don't have but...

...I've been eyeballing them on-line.
I like the way they look and I like the bar & shield logo.
Although now that you've pointed out how they make the engine look like a Victory, I'm not so sure. (just kidding)

GSF

Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
dieselsmith
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are kind of a pain due exactly to the limited space and allen wrench travel but I like them, gives it a finished off look. Those 2 pics I put up came up as clickable attachments. Why and when I click on them it says i'm not authorized to do that maybe something with the moderator?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,053 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
They kept comming loose on my 02 FLHT. Took them off when I bought my 06 FLHT. Put them on the 06. Came loose on tht bike too. Took them off and never put them back on. Any budy wanna buy them?....

Trucky911
Dam it man don't you use LokTite?

Quick Reply: Finned head bolt bridge