General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First motorcycle-related Christmas present is on its way!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First motorcycle-related Christmas present is on its way!

Little bit of history: I don't have a scoot yet. Wife has been apprehensive of spending the money on an armored motorcycle jacket since I don't have anything to ride on a regular basis. My take has been that I've recently discovered several friends who ride and I didn't know or didn't remember they rode, plus when we head down to Orlando to visit her folks for the holidays I was planning on renting a Harley for a day with my father-in-law. I'd rather ride with a good jacket than not, especially in Orlando.

So I go downstairs this morning to sit with my wife before she heads off to work (she's a schoolteacher). She says to me, "I have an idea about this whole motorcycle jacket thing. How about a compromise?"

I respond... "Um... sure. What did you have in mind?"

"Well, actually, I'd like to buy you that motorcycle jacket you want for Christmas."

[sm=drooldude.gif][sm=hail.gif]

So I just ordered my new Tour Master Intake riding jacket from Dennis Kirk. Should be here by early next week. How sweet is that?

My wife RULES.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Default RE: First motorcycle-related Christmas present is on its way!

If she's thinking about the jacket the bike can't be far behind........

Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

If she's thinking about the jacket the bike can't be far behind........
That's my hope and prayer, if nothing else...

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

thats strange that someone would buy equipment for something they dont own...... yet. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

ive have a wheel since i was 19. im now 33 and i have never been one day without a motorcycle in my garage- ever. when i met my wife, i was riding an 02 GSXR 750- that she got on quite a few times. then, in 03 i bought a Yamaha RS Warrior.... weve since gotten married and i was talking about buying an HD. not long ago- she bought me my RKC. how cool is that?

my advice to everyone who 'talks' about getting a wheel (and their wife is against it) is- just go and buy it.... you cant take it back.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Don't "just buy" one.......will cause more grief than what it is worth.

If you have your motorcycle licence - go to a dealership - they give free test rides. Take the wife. Have her sit on a few. Tell her how good she looks on one and all of the trips you could take together.

Show her the sign that says "Sportster $99/mo". That leads inot a bigger bike and for "just a few dollars more" we can get this bigger bike.

Trust me - it works........(look at my signature.....)

Old 12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

She's already fully aware of the motorcycling world. She had one ride on the back of a Road King with her father several months ago, and turning a corner they slid in some loose gravel and he laid the bike down. Freaked her out thoroughly. It'll be a while before I get her to ride one. Heck, it'll probably be a while before she even physically touches one, like walking up to it and puting her index finger on the gas tank!

She knows the financing options are there, and with her credit we could end up with really nice payments. But we have quite a bit ahead of us at the moment, financially speaking. Gotta work through the rest of my meager but still ever-present credit card debt, that's the agreement. The jacket is a great step in the right direction, though!

Oh, and Domestic... my wife would find a way to take it back. I may take flak for this, but I'd rather stay married and have no motorcycle than lose my wife and gain a motorcycle. And you can take that to the bank. I'm going to work with her on this rather than against her, because I know she'll support me with it eventually. Just takes time. Heck, like Speedking said, a bike wouldn't necessarily be far behind! I did promise to buy her a Porsche one day (as well as lessons at a reputable driving school) if/when we've got the ability to, so she probably wouldn't be opposed at all to surprising me with a scoot someday!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what you've got to do, it may take a while but if you want a bike bad enough you'll make it work. It took me about ten years before I could order mine, believe me it was worth all the effort. Good luck!!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
mgumto
Banned

I had to bother my wife for 3 months to get an HD. Her dad rode a Goldwing and she enjoyed riding the Wing so she wanted a streetbike. I also have a CBR900 that she would not get on to save her life. My wife however, as much as I love her seems to go on power trips. This wasn't about money, this was about her flexing her muscle. In the end, she finally realized this wasnt such a big deal and said "go buy one" The key for me was getting the right deal. I never buy on impulse and if you can be patient, it pays off. I waited almost a year to buy my wife's Lexus SUV (the entire time searching my brother was calling me "King Tire Kicker") and another 6 months before I traded in my Lexus for an '06 model. Same thing with the HD, I watched em on ebay for months, got a feel for what they should sell for and then waited for the right deal to come along. That said, I say keep your eye's peeled for a smoking deal. If it comes along and its affordable I say do it. But like you said, don't wreck your marriage over it!!!! Good luck!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,755 Likes on 4,104 Posts

Guitarman,
Give us updates on how the process goes with wifey... betcha there's others hoping and reading and trying to move the decision along.

Congrats on saying that.... "Wife Comes First!!