General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not ready for a garbage barge

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not ready for a garbage barge

I'll be 57 years old in 3 weeks (WTF?) and I've been thinking about my past and present motorcycle choices, and what the future may hold.

I still cannot imagine myself on a Dresser (I hate the stupid term "Bagger"). It's not a desperate attempt to hang on to a long-ago youth. I just don't want or need the added weight or complicated electrics. I don't want a sound system, only the sound of my engine. I've never liked windshields with their distortions and buffeting....I LIKE being in the wind. I don't want more running lights than a 70s semi-truck.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against garbage wagons (as they were called) at all. Some friends of mine have ridden them for years; since their 30s. They love them. Cool with me. I just like a fast, light, knife-like bike that really makes me feel alive. I will always ride my FXR.

Again, no flaming or disrepect intended, just my personal preference and it kind of suprises me at this stage in my life.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me too!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy is 73 and rides a 2008 FXDWG. He's building a softail Sportser.
He also has an American Iron Horse.

He's in better shape than many in their 50s and he did as most of us do, buy what we wanted.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

Im pretty sure when I get older Ill gonna get rid of mine because Im going to be too weak to muscle an 800+ pound bike. I understand what you are talking about.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
A buddy is 73 and rides a 2008 FXDWG. He's building a softail Sportser.
He also has an American Iron Horse.

He's in better shape than many in their 50s and he did as most of us do, buy what we wanted.
There ya go! Live and let live.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has a handlebar mustache and after combing his hair after taking his helmet off, he was twisting the tache into shape.
I teased him about no good looking women in the gas station we stopped at.
He looked at me and smiled and said, "you always gotta be ready!"

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
I'll be 57 years old in 3 weeks (WTF?) and I've been thinking about my past and present motorcycle choices, and what the future may hold.

I still cannot imagine myself on a Dresser (I hate the stupid term "Bagger"). It's not a desperate attempt to hang on to a long-ago youth. I just don't want or need the added weight or complicated electrics. I don't want a sound system, only the sound of my engine. I've never liked windshields with their distortions and buffeting....I LIKE being in the wind. I don't want more running lights than a 70s semi-truck.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against garbage wagons (as they were called) at all. Some friends of mine have ridden them for years; since their 30s. They love them. Cool with me. I just like a fast, light, knife-like bike that really makes me feel alive. I will always ride my FXR.

Again, no flaming or disrepect intended, just my personal preference and it kind of suprises me at this stage in my life.
I hear exactly what you're saying. I had the same attitude up to a couple of years ago and a friend of mine had a dresser that he sent word to me that he wanted to trade for an old muscle car I had in my shop. It had a grand total of 300 miles put on it in the last six years, so it was just taking up space. At first, I just laughed it off........but thought about it. Took me 3 weeks of thinking about it, having a very hard time imagining me riding a geezer glide and finally made the trade, knowing I would probably put a few more miles on it than I would the car. Well, I found it kinda handy for some of the long distance Patriot Guard rides I do (kind of nice to be able to carry iced down drinks)and running into town for errands when something would have to be carried that was beyond just strapping on the sissy bar or handlebars. Dog food, beer, parts, small grocery trips, etc. Kept me on 2 wheels more than I thought it would.
But, my 60 year old butt is on my FXR when I really want to ride a motorsickle and my girlfriend is always asking "Can we take the FXR?" when I am planning a ride.
Haulin freight, geezer glide...haulin *** and soul, FXR.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree. I've fooled with windshields for years on the bikes I have owned in the past and never could get used to them. There is no way I could ride a bike with a fairing and all the stuff that goes with it...got to be able to see my front tire spinning while riding...LOL. While Not a FXR I have decided that I'll be keeping the Dyna till I'm gone.
Don't matter what age you are...What's that old saying "your as young or old as you feel". I also got nothing against dressers...I say ride what makes ya happy.

Last edited by zoopman; 02-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My current ride is a Streetglide. The tunes and stuff are cool, but the fairing/shield are not all they are cracked up to be. When it's time for a new bike, I'll be looking long and hard at Road Kings. I love the bags, and I'm such a big guy the touring bikes are the only ones that seem to fit me.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Too each is own.Whatever makes you happy my man!

Quick Reply: Not ready for a garbage barge