General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Odyssey in Hayward, Ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
marc177s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Odyssey in Hayward, Ca

Does anyone know if Leather Odyssey in Hayward, Ca is still open. I tried calling a few times with no luck. I read on a post somewhere that they closed their doors a year or so ago. Was hopeing someone could confirm or deny this.
They made a leather pullover shirt for my dad probably 30 yrs ago and would like to get one for myself.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by marc177s
Does anyone know if Leather Odyssey in Hayward, Ca is still open. I tried calling a few times with no luck. I read on a post somewhere that they closed their doors a year or so ago. Was hopeing someone could confirm or deny this.
They made a leather pullover shirt for my dad probably 30 yrs ago and would like to get one for myself.

Sorry man I have no idea. I know that didn't help much but your question looked a bit lonely. Last activity for them on city search was a review in 2009 and a page update early 2011. I don't see a domain listing for them anywhere. did see that they had been in business for 41 yrs they may have retired.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
lostsoul71
Advanced

I bought some stuff from these guys 20 years ago and it's still holding up. http://justleathers.com

There is a real good leather guy in Orangevale buy the name of Bobs leather http://bobsleather.com/ He does some really good work but I don't know if he actually does shirts? He does make way more than what his website shows, I know that for a fact. His shop is a kick. Bring some Budwieser and you've got a new drinking buddy. He's a real character. I've been known to go in on a Friday afternoon to pick something up and end up staying to bullsh1t for hours.He stands behind everything he makes.Real straight shooter.

Last edited by lostsoul71; 02-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Just Leathers used to be a good leather shop. Now, not so much. I went in there after being gone for a few years, and it had really changed. Not the laid back atmosphere anymore. Just boutique style mall attitudes. I got a dirty look for just trying on a vest. When I asked if they still sold used leathers they gave me a look like I had two heads. Not the same shop... they still have what looks like good quality stuff, but very pricey IMHO. Did they change owners or something?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM
lostsoul71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Just Leathers used to be a good leather shop. Now, not so much. I went in there after being gone for a few years, and it had really changed. Not the laid back atmosphere anymore. Just boutique style mall attitudes. I got a dirty look for just trying on a vest. When I asked if they still sold used leathers they gave me a look like I had two heads. Not the same shop... they still have what looks like good quality stuff, but very pricey IMHO. Did they change owners or something?
Well,that sucks. I haven't been in there in at least 15 years so they may have changed hands.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, very disappointing. If you have ever been in a Hot Topic store, that's what it reminded me of. Lot's of stuff for the younger set, mass produced things. Maybe they had to change to compete with the internet. Sign of the times I guess.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Was up that direction about 2 weeks ago store front is gone sorry brother . About the only place around to get decent leather work anymore is Johnson's Leather up San Fran and been a few years since I was there to so ............

Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
marc177s
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info guys. I inherited all my pop's leathers when he passed, so I'll take the shirt in to Bob's Leather's and see what they can do.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leather Oddyssey is still there. It's turned into more of a thrift store than a custom leathers shop. In the old days, it was "The spot".

Just Leather, San Jose, is my retailer of choice now, but it has gotten a bit commercial. The owner, his wife and kids are alright. I limit my purchases to the bi-annual sales. April & Octoer I think. Prices are just too high for their stuff. (He says with 4 jackets, two vests, chaps, saddle bags, and three fork bags strategically located )

While they custom "tailor" anything and everything, the base vest, jacket or chaps are all made somewhere else. They honor the lifetime warranty and that's getting harder to find as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaDAWG
Leather Oddyssey is still there. It's turned into more of a thrift store than a custom leathers shop. In the old days, it was "The spot".

Just Leather, San Jose, is my retailer of choice now, but it has gotten a bit commercial. The owner, his wife and kids are alright. I limit my purchases to the bi-annual sales. April & Octoer I think. Prices are just too high for their stuff. (He says with 4 jackets, two vests, chaps, saddle bags, and three fork bags strategically located )

While they custom "tailor" anything and everything, the base vest, jacket or chaps are all made somewhere else. They honor the lifetime warranty and that's getting harder to find as well.
May be why I didn't see it, looked like a junk shop from the windows , I use that dirt bike & rocket place across the street for tire mounting .

Quick Reply: Leather Odyssey in Hayward, Ca