General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing question

I've got a pair of stock take-off 40 spoke laced wheels from a 2007 FLHRC that I'm going to put on my 2003 FLHRCI. I want to put fresh bearings in them before I mount them.

I've also been thinking about the wheel bearings on my 2010 FLHTCU, and how people have been talking about replacing them early/often, so I'm going to make it a habit of changing those at tire change intervals.

I found a bearing puller/install tool for $80 that will do 25mm, 3/4", and 1" bearings, so I'm set there. Yes I have the service manual for both bikes,

So, the question is, should I just go to the stealer and get OEM replacements? Or, is this like the cam bearing thing where "the B's were good, the rest are crap, get torrington/timkin, but some are made in China, and others made in Mexico so make sure you get the bearings that Joe-Bob sells because he got a stock of them from Ohio in 1974 and still has some left, but make sure you call him and ask for the specific lot number otherwise... bla, bla, bla"

That's my question.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick with the proven makes like Timkin because you know they are quality! pull your races & pop in new ones!
Hatch.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

One problem I have seen is new sealed bearings have little to no grease in them. If you are careful you can pop off one of the seals, add a little grease and get a lot more life out of them than the manufacturer intended

Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 AM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You never, ever open up a sealed bearing.

JMHO.....If you are going to change out your wheel bearings as a service procedure, why would you go with O.E. bearings?

Find a vendor who can order a German bearing brand named "***". These are some of the best bearings in the industry. Install these bearings and then service (if they are not the sealed type) them at appropriate intervals.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Take your bearings to these guys and have them match them with the same thing from Timken, Koyo, NSK, NTN, Schaeffler or SKF. Call them first to see if they have a location in your city.

http://web.applied.com/site.cfm/North%20Carolina.cfm

If AIT can't help then try these guys

http://www.bdi-usa.com/Locations.aspx?State=NC

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 03-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,045 Likes on 17,526 Posts

You don't have to worry about 1974 stock for twinkie wheel bearing we still used real ones back then that that lasted 20 yrs or more . The sealed one piece you have has only been around since 2000 or so , just DON"T ever buy china name bearings they are gone in 20,000 or less miles .

Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarowens
You never, ever open up a sealed bearing.

You don't...I do all the time. If you ever open one, and see how little grease they put in them...you would never install one with out adding a little grease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yhucQjFBg

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed the the brand name of the bearing company was not printed in my previous post. I guess it is because the German company's brand name is a derogatory name for a gay man.... who would have thunk it? I meant no harm or insult, follow this link, that is the name of the company and they are top of the line bearings.
http://www.schaeffler-aftermarket.com

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been selling bearings for 32 years...yours are probably sealed ball bearings and I think the MOCO buys them from INA which is part of the Scheffler group that owns ***, Barden, and others I can't remember. If they are INA and the part number begins with "F", they are probably special dimensions made for the MOCO. If they are sealed ball bearings and not special sizes, you would see numbers like 6205-2rs or 6305-2rs which are very common. If they are tapered roller bearings like Timken, then you will have cones,cups, and seals separate from the bearing.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, the site must have protection against posting the bearing company name. Those letters stand for Fischer Automatic Gustalkuglefabriken(not sure about that spelling or the actual name) Germans have way too many letters in their words.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing question