General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What side of the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get on and off from what ever side I happen to be on .
as I get older I find it easier to get on from the trottle side /right side
could be doing it wrong but then I have only been riding for 50+ years

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
I run up from behind and vault into the seat. Learned that from watching cowboy movies.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon-dog
OK, I was at my local HD dealer over the weekend with a buddy looking to buy a BRAND NEW RK from them. He went to get on the bike from the left side and the salesman said "WTH dude!!! You never get on a bike from that side when the handle bars are locked; you always get on from the right side of the bike." He made a @ss out of himself and my buddy that came real close to telling him to get Fk'ed just walked away and is headed to Pig Trail HD today to buy a new bike.

I have never heard of mounting from the right side. Is that BS on the salesman??

Just wondering.
Typical arrogant "know it all" HD salesman. If your friend bought a bike from them he is an idiot. I have had the same experience from the dealer I bought 2 bikes from and will never shop at again.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
buttmonkey
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been getting on and off the right (throttle) side for 34 years on my harleys. Back in the days of my youth, there was a lever sticking out the right side of the transmission. A person had to manipulate this lever up and down to get said bike running. Just seemed natural that being on that side, you get on that side

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

When I had a bike with no tour pack, I always mounted and dismounted from the left, as taught in MSF course. I heard a good reason why, but forgot it after a while.

On my Ultra I was dragging my right boot on saddlebag sometimes, since I can't swing my leg over. So I mount from left and dismount from right. That changes based on terrain.

Plus we are HDF badasses. We can do whatever we want.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been getting on and off left side for 50 years! I'm not changing now!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also depends how tall you are and hight of the seat. Tall people dismount from either right or left easily. But when you mount on the seat, it's alway easier from the left, as you sit down your weight rights the bike with no much effort.
I guess the concern of the dealer was that if you mount from the throttle side, when you throw your left leg over some people would pull the handlebar having their right hand on the throttle thring to ight the bike like you'd do with a light bike. If you pull enough you may get the jiffy to withdraw but not enough strength to hold the bike straight as you only have your right foot down, the left foot is still across and the bike is leaning on the left and it's heavy and it could easily fall down pulling you along.
For the inexperienced the dealer may have a point there...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am ambidextrous(yes, I had to look up the spelling), I get on from both sides. When I first got the Streetglide, I had to get used to not kicking bags. One time I almost fell off the bike when I forgot I had my touring bag on the back seat and went to swing my leg out behind me when I got off and got tangled up. That was funny.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
In motor officer training you always get on and off from the right. This has to do with protecting yourself from traffic, having your leg clear the seat/radio box, keeping clear of a falling bike, and approching the subject from the passenger side. The driver does not expect you on the other side.

There are other reasons but it's all about safety. I have never known anyone other than police trained riders to mount/dismount this way.
I always mount/dismount right side only. My training has this ingrained into me, as Buzzard spoke of. Also always put my right foot down when stopping. I carry my professional riding habits over into my personal riding.

As Buzzard pointed out, there are officer safety resons why the right side is taught. I assume there are other practical reasons why it is taught at the MSF courses as well.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

In reading some of the other posts, maybe I'm wrong about the MSF teaching right side mount/dismount. My training has all been police motor training, US Park Police, US Secret Svc. Motor training, etc. They all pretty much go from the same book, so to speak.

Quick Reply: What side of the bike?