General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 3 hours to 3 days??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From 3 hours to 3 days??

Took my bike in for it's 1,000 mile break in service yesterday. I had an appointment so they were expecting me. The service manager asked if I was going to wait for it or if I was dropping it off.

I said I was dropping it off and he told me with the nice weather, they were pretty swamped but he would be able to keep his "3 day service guarantee" and it should be ready by lunchtime Saturday.

What would he have done if I said I was gonna wait for it?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He would of had you wait three hours for it would be my guess.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You had an appointment to drop it off for 3 day "inspection" service? That's screwed up. You should wait until they can guarantee they will do it that day. Are you afraid you will void your warranty or something?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice guys finish last, you should have said I'll be back in 3 hours to pick it up, have it ready. You weren't assertive as to the time frame so boom it goes to the bottom of the list. My warranty has long since worn out and lord knows I didn't even want to take it into them when it was on warranty. I'll do the wrenching myself thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

You have had 3 hrs to cruise through the rest of the place buying useless **** then they would have told to come back in 3 days anyway .

Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
Took my bike in for it's 1,000 mile break in service yesterday. I had an appointment so they were expecting me. The service manager asked if I was going to wait for it or if I was dropping it off.

I said I was dropping it off and he told me with the nice weather, they were pretty swamped but he would be able to keep his "3 day service guarantee" and it should be ready by lunchtime Saturday.

What would he have done if I said I was gonna wait for it?
regardless of if they were swamped or not, you had an appointment. they should have honored that. things happen, we get that. but a non-appointment service should not take priority over an appointment, unless it was in the case of someone who broke down on the road, etc. but i'm sure their service bays were not full of broken down bikes. if they were, some folks really need to learn how to winterize properly

just out of curiosity, where did the '3 hours' come from?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1K, 5K & 10K on my last bike all took about 3 hours so that's where I got the figure from.

I'm pretty much a mechanical retard. Not only do I not have any desire to wrench on my own equipment, but when I do, it usually doesn't turn out well. That just is what it is.

The "Nice guys finish last' commit has some truth to it but I've had nothing but great service from this particular dealer in the past so I have a hard time blowing my top over this one.

Then there's the old customer service trick of under promise, over deliver where they say it's gonna take 3 days and then they call in 3 hours saying it's done.

That hasn't happened yet.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I took mine in for the 10K service and you know what? Nobody touches my bike unless something breaks really bad. They left screws out, charged me for parts they didn't even replace .... other than that ... it's never been in the shop other than for tires in 70K miles. These things really are pretty easy to troubleshoot and fix. I've had to do some repairs/upgrades but nothing anyone should not be able to handle. They so reliable these days ... those inspections that they charge you for are really uneeded, just change your fluids and filters and keep the receipts.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

3 days to change oil?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Harley oil drains really slow.,,,

Quick Reply: From 3 hours to 3 days??