General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Harley Thinking With Their New Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Stereotype my butt, for 109 years people have been buying Harley's the stereotyping
started with the movie "The Wild Ones" in the 1950's. In the late 40's and early 50's
the Motorcycle clubs were just people getting together for the love of motorcycling, and
out of that came the outlaw motorcycle gangs. Hollywood has made the image most of
population thinks of the Biker, not the way most motorcyclist see themselves.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
tttnl56283416
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aw.. Come on dudes. Harley knows that it's customer base is rapidly aging and they have to bring in new age groups. Hell the average age of a Harley rider is 53 so if they don't bring in a new customer base they won't have anyone to sell to anymore.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Dustyf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tttnl56283416
Aw.. Come on dudes. Harley knows that it's customer base is rapidly aging and they have to bring in new age groups. Hell the average age of a Harley rider is 53 so if they don't bring in a new customer base they won't have anyone to sell to anymore.

What kind of thinking is this, that they won't have anyone to sell to?

There will always be a new crop of 52 yr olds turning 53 next year so while it may not be a growing market it is still a place in the market.

DustyF

Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
That's very interesting information and along the lines of what I suspected, but have not seen it backed up by any reports. Is this info published somewhere or are you basing it on your sales experience?

I did find the below published information based on 2008 HD sales.
The 40% figure, representing the number of riders riding less than 3 years is something I guessed at based on my experience working at the dealership. We actually saw a much higher percentage of new riders than this in the dealership because new riders are the main ones buying bikes and gear.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

An affordable Indian? yeah, I've heard that one before...

I won't be holding my breath.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
scottburns8ball
Cruiser

I don't see anything wrong with the posted ad. I see younger, somewhat successful, folks finding their "niche" in the motorcycle culture. Except for the guy labeled a "noob", they look like people, atleast trying to, fit in.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

One thing that has changed and what I think this ad is responding to more than anything is the media "attack" on Harley riders. Look at the South Park episode seen by millions saw and more see clips on Youtube. For a half hour they basically took the typical pirate looking biker revving their motors and called them "***s". You go on youtube, amazon.com, etc. and search Harley and in about 20 seconds you'll find someone referencing that show or bagging on Harleys and "bikers".

That ad is clearly in response to that stuff and what people have been saying about Harleys over the last year or 2. Harley is trying to show the world that not everyone dresses like a pirate and goes around revving their engine etc.

It isn't just south park it is all over the place. South Park does topical humor- SOA comes out has some success+ the swelling of the ranks of HD riders + ever present rice vs Harley arguments= South Park and others thrash (badly I might add) the whole Harley mystique.

The wife and I were in the car a few weekends ago with some HD riders on their bikes (5 of them) in front of us, and they were all kitted out looking as mean as they could. We all came to a red light and a car load of 20 somethings pulled up on their left side and were laughing their asses off at them. We watched as that group's body language totally changed. It looked like they deflated in front of us. Very odd stuff.

Anyhow, if you put it in that context it is pretty clear what that ad is trying to accomplish. I might be wrong but to me the message in that ad more than anything is - not all HD riders are wannabe douche bags.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Interestingly all the bikers in the ad are wearing "bad *** biker style" gear rather than the more technical/functional motorcycle touring or track gear favored by experienced riders.

Most are not wearing gloves, none are wearing motorcycle pants, and the army guy is doing a burn out. The soccer mom is parked in front of a tattoo parlor. If they are trying to get away from the stereo type of HD riders being the less astute, attention seeking members of the motorcycling world they are not doing a very good job at it.

Last edited by fat_tony; 03-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Trusten
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Don't feel bad. I've been going into Harley dealers for over 30 years and maybe twice someone has asked to help me with a bike. The last one I bought I had to actually chase someone down (then show him which one was a Softail - where do they get these guys). Really wanted the clothing girl to get the commission, the salesmen were all tools.

Welcome young blood, bring your friends, we don't bite...
Wow! I gotta say I am surprised to hear that about your Harley dealer experience. Mine was totally different.
Before I bought my ride, I dropped into my dealer, here in Dallas, Texas, and had at least four people say hi to me, and joking around with me. I talked to several people, had a guy walk me around, and show me different bikes, talked to me about what kind of experience I had as a rider, what kind of riding I do, etc. to help steer me to the right Harley for me.

I went back several times, I talked on the phone with my salesman, he sent me a couple of text messages, with pics, of bikes they had taken in on trade I might be interested in, and ended up calling me to tell me to their owner had just slashed the price on the bike I wanted (it was their 30-something anniversary, and the owner wanted to have the best sales day ever).

Everytime I drop by, months later, the same sales guy walks over and talks to me. Even my wife was impressed by the level of curtesy, friendliness, and, get this, the no pressure sales tactics.

So, I guess it is just down to the dealership. Mine here in Dallas is great. I have even shopped a second dealership here (we have like three in the metroplex), and all of them are really great to work with. Even the parts guys are friendly and want to help you. And, dang! The gals that work there are seriously easy on the eyes.

Sorry Harley dealerships did you wrong man. IF Harely wants to attract the younger, newer riders, customer service would go along way. When you're about to sign away 4 or 5 years of payments for a Harely, it'd sure help if they treated you better.

Next time, come on down to either Allen or Dallas Harley, buy it, and ride it home. You'll be treated better, and get a good start on your break in.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Trusten
Even the parts guys are friendly and want to help you. And, dang! The gals that work there are seriously easy on the eyes.
Those people treat me well and we all know each other by name. But the sales douches don't stay around long enough to get to know. Maybe cause they don't know jack about Harleys. This is not just one dealer, I deal with several dealers, and know the parts guys real well.

Just cause I look like I don't have any money, doesn't mean I don't.

Quick Reply: What's Harley Thinking With Their New Ads?