General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Harley Thinking With Their New Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
HDForums Editors
Internet Brands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,483 Likes on 2,374 Posts

We hardasses are going to have to step up our game to combat this crap! Honestly I don't see what the problem is- you can tell the fakes by HOW they ride not WHAT they ride.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I mentioned this on the previous big thread about this same subject.

It's just a re-work of the famous "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad campaign from the 1960's.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11

It's just a re-work of the famous "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad campaign from the 1960's.
pretty much, plus the added fact they want those Vic buyers

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the current Harley owners are baby boomers down to Gen X'ers. They already have that market and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This ad campaign will appeal to Gen Y and the upcoming kids for reasons us older folks don't really get.

Just look at the rallies, a bunch of old folks shopping and mall walking, it's rapidly aging and the younger generations have no interest in filling its ranks. The younger generation has no interest in traditional "biker" stuff at all, it doesn't fit in with how they've been raised. This campaign is to get the younger generation interested in Harley's and isn't far off from what the sportster line has been doing for the past few years.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Where I live it is extremely rare to see a Harley rider under 45 and Harley riders in their twenties or early thirties do not exist. I think they are going after this market of motorcyclists that are not currently buying Harley or cruisers style bikes.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they are trying to break the stereotype of the big bad biker image and try to appeal to the younger crowd. Note that we baby boomers are starting to get old and Harley is just trying to get into this new market of X-generationals and Amillenials. Also note the bikes the are featuring in that video are mostly entry level bikes.

The Soccer Mom is hot though.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

What I saw was a campaign aimed at trying to get young people riding Sportsters. Then getting them to slowly move onto bigger models. I'm no kid, but if I was going to purchase a bike nowadays there is certain things I would want in a bike, like a modern look, fast acceleration and handling, and a price that fit my budget. Metric bikes can be had new for alot less then a new Harley. I recently saw a '03 Hyabusa for $3500. What todays youth wants is adrenalin on demand, for cheap. After riding a Hyabusa, riding a Sportster feels like riding a bicycle. Plus look at the true trend of bike ownership. Seems like alot of people only want a bike for a short while, not for the rest of their lives. Harley has alot of stockholders to answer to, so they have to try anything they think will work to get any potential customer in the showrooms. When used Harley's can be had for bargain basement prices these days, it's gotta be a hard sell to convince people they need a new bike.,,

Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Expand market share and increase profits.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
and a price that fit my budget. Metric bikes can be had new for alot less then a new Harley.

Nothing has changed, that's most young people, no $$$$.

It's the price Silly! They still wanna be BillieBadAss...

I know lots of 20somethings that are riding Harleys. But most are chopping or riding cheap rice. Cause thats what they can afford.

Quick Reply: What's Harley Thinking With Their New Ads?