General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing old bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,862 Likes on 6,237 Posts

My '79 FLH was new when I bought it. Buying it was easy. Selling it?
Yeah, right.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get what you're saying biker law.. i was heavily into muscle cars and drag racing. then Barrett-Jacksoncame along and screwed the pooch for the avg gearhead out there. sure its great if you happen to have been sitting on some old vintage and are ready to sell, but for the avg guy who wants a vintage anything, then you'll need to take out a loan. 10-15 yrs ago you could buy just about any non discript 60-70 muscle car for next to nothing. now every tom dick and harry who has a old mopar, even with just a slant 6 wants rediculous money even if its a complete resto.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by coltsfan
Even shovels are beginning to be seen as collector items, even though shovels are still going really cheap. So everyday riders are indeed being pushed out of the market for some older models and financing something like that does not change that they are being pushed out of the market.
Exactly! Thats all I was saying. If in fact everyday riders ARE being pushed out of the market, then what are their options? If an average guy wants to buy a Shovelhead for ANY reason (used to own one/just loves Shovels), what are his options? Raising 10-15K cash is a big deal for lots of people, but its nothing but a $250 monthly payment if you want a brand new bike. So what is a guy supposed to do that now has to spend that much cash for the bike of his dreams? Can he go into a local bank or credit union to get a loan on said vintage bike, or does he have to save and settle for one that isn't really what he wants, but what he has cash on hand for?

I'm not trying to **** people off, just talking about bikes on a bike forum.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 03-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I was just trying to figure out where these sellers think the average Shovel enthusiast is gonna come up with the kind of cash they want, in this economy, without some bank assistance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item1c24912fd6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item3a7210d2db
Both of these bikes are so totally overpriced...not even close to the words "restored/restoration" One of them 30+K invested. What a dweeb. Must have paid someone else to do all the work because they are not mechanically inclined and now trying to recoup some of the money.

My guess is that they will be for sale for a long time because the prices for what is there is not even close to correct for highly customized shovels.

And I believe the average shovel enthusiast understands the market and what is legitimately and a fair price and what is bull$hit, These two offers are just throwing hooks into the water to see if anyone is truly dumb and stupid enough to get hooked.

Like I stated, if you are careful and patient there are still good deals on shovels (close to stock) at very good prices that will not require you to takes out a second loan on your house.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a couple of guys who have financed vintage bikes or muscle cars through home equity loans.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
I know a couple of guys who have financed vintage bikes or muscle cars through home equity loans.
Man to me that is a big risk, but if it works...great for them. Took me 3 years to get my 55 Cameo almost to correct: I am on year 7/8 for my 49 pan and still counting. After that it will be my 65 pan.

Only spend what I have cash in hand for, but that is just me....

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Exactly! Thats all I was saying. If in fact everyday riders ARE being pushed out of the market, then what are their options? If an average guy wants to buy a Shovelhead for ANY reason (used to own one/just loves Shovels), what are his options? Raising 10-15K cash is a big deal for lots of people, but its nothing but a $250 monthly payment if you want a brand new bike. So what is a guy supposed to do that now has to spend that much cash for the bike of his dreams? Can he go into a local bank or credit union to get a loan on said vintage bike, or does he have to save and settle for one that isn't really what he wants, but what he has cash on hand for?

I'm not trying to **** people off, just talking about bikes on a bike forum.
I live in Indianapolis and the NE side has a wealthy area that is gobbling up a small town where a few of my frineds live. Now the people are offering them huge amounts of money for the small little farm that they have always lived on. The world just goes like that.

If some can comfortably afford payments on a new bike then go for it, if not save up and find a $4K Evo or shovel, they are out there. I've been poor enough to have to ride a Jap bike before.

It's not "settling" for a bike that isn't what you want, it is just a step towards getting what you want. I just cannot imagine taking a loan for more than a product's value, and the nicest older bike(or car) is just a few miles and neglect from being a clunker.