General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions dealing with dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Kaz800
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions dealing with dealership

Ordered new 2012 FLHX last Oct,asked for it to be arrive first week in March, planned on having work done on it. With delays etc ready for first week in April to ride here in Toronto.

This dealership here has been a nightmare to deal with.

There is not one competent person at this dealership. I have arranged for a $10 000 build on it. You would think they would remember who I am and return phone calls, emails etc. Everytime I deal with the parts guys they know less then I do about bikes which is sad. Had to tell the one parts guy that the Vance & Hines pipes are not in the HD cat.

The bike arrived a month early and they tried to get me to buy it then. I said no not till the day I ordered it don't need it paid for sitting in my garage. I finialize the build and am told it will be done 2 weeks ago. I go in a week ago and they are still waiting on a part but never contact me to info me of delay. Then I am promised!!! It will be ready this Friday as they have all the parts in stock now. Then the greasy used car sales guy returns my email I sent this morning at 5:58pm so I can't get a hold of him saying that it won't be ready till April 13 th and what time would be best for delivery and how excited I must be blah blah. If I could afford an assault charge I would go beat him tomorrow.

Anyhow going to talk to owners son/manger tomorrow. Going to ask for some kind of compensation. What would be reasonable to ask for....expect? I know he will try to give me a HD frisbee. But I am thinking something bigger.

Guys get pissed when others bitch about the MoCo but this is why others bitch daily about the MoCo.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Kaz800; 03-27-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Spl
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaz800
Ordered new 2012 FLHX last Oct,asked for it to be arrive first week in March, planned on having work done on it. With delays etc ready for first week in April to ride here in Toronto.

This dealership here has been a nightmare to deal with.

There is not one competent person at this dealership. I have arranged for a $10 000 build on it. You would think they would remember who I am and return phone calls, emails etc. Everytime I deal with the parts guys they know less then I do about bikes which is sad. Had to tell the one parts guy that the Vance & Hines pipes are not in the HD cat.

The bike arrived a month early and they tried to get me to buy it then. I said no not till the day I ordered it don't need it paid for sitting in my garage. I finialize the build and am told it will be done 2 weeks ago. I go in a week ago and they are still waiting on a part but never contact me to info me of delay. Then I am promised!!! It will be ready this Friday as they have all the parts in stock now. Then the greasy used car sales guy returns my email I sent this morning at 5:58pm so I can't get a hold of him saying that it won't be ready till April 13 th and what time would be best for delivery and how excited I must be blah blah. If I could afford an assault charge I would go beat him tomorrow.

Anyhow going to talk to owners son/manger tomorrow. Going to ask for some kind of compensation. What would be reasonable to ask for....expect? I know he will try to give me a HD frisbee. But I am thinking something bigger.

Guys get pissed when others bitch about the MoCo but this is why others bitch daily about the MoCo.

Suggestions?
What would you call "bigger?"

Personally, I'd try and get labor cost knocked down to AT LEAST half and a discount on HD parts (5-10%) used on the build. Maybe a gift card for parts/clothes, see if they can't throw in a jacket, vest, boots, key chain, BIC pen, etc. or something.

I don't think you won't get anything "big" in return, sadly. Doesn't mean you can't aim big. The worse they can say is "We can't do that."

When I bought my King, I tried to get things thrown in left and right (major discounts on the new bars I wanted, H-D leather jacket, speakers, etc.). I didn't get much of anything but I at least tried.

If you didn't sign any paper work and you can still back out without it costing you a dime, I'd do that. Especially since it won't be ready for your ride in the first place. Hopefully you can find another Street Glide that you want at another dealer.

If they don't accommodate you, tell them you'll never be back and you'll spread the word of your horrible experience. It probably means nothing to them but if you can get even one person to not spend money there, that's a small "win."

Last edited by DC4MVP; 03-27-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

From reading your post, here is what I get...

You ordered a bike and specified what day you wanted it to show up at the dealer. It got there early and they wanted you to pay for it. You said no, you weren't going to pay for it until the day you wanted it to show up.

Now....the build is taking longer than planned so you go into complaint mode, so the dealer is trying to avoid you just so they don't have to listen to you gripe and whine.

And now you want compensation because you are having to wait.

You sound like a whiny bitch because you aren't getting your way.

Maybe if you had paid for it when it came in, the finished bike would be at your house by now.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kaz800, you didn't give us enough info. How much $$ have you paaid up front? Have you signed a finance agreement, how "done" is this deal? This dealership sound completely inept, kind of like the one where I bought my Ultra. I had to have some insurance work don there and they raped me, took months doing it, and never got it right. They'll never see me again.

If you're not into this too deep, you might want to get out now.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts

$10,000 build. What are you getting done. When you say "build" I assume you mean engine work.There are some good old harley mech's around, but not many. The rest are qualified installers. Also keep in mind spring came early around here and they're probably busier than ****.I wouldn't want somebody working on my bike that isn't, let's say "focused". Good luck.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My two cents.Whats this got to do with THE MOCO?Sounds like you got a dealer issue on your hands.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 133 Posts

With a $10K build I would tell them to take their time and make sure it's done right.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quit whining.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm surprised that they are doing $10k worth of work on a bike per your request, without the bike being paid for first.

What am I missing here, why would a dealer do all that work to a bike they haven't sold yet?? Something just doesn't add up here.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I'm surprised that they are doing $10k worth of work on a bike per your request, without the bike being paid for first.
I dont think a dealer is going to order a bike without the buyer paying a deposit and signing a contract.

Also I dont think a dealer has control of when a bike is going to be delivered.

Quick Reply: Suggestions dealing with dealership