General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Narrow Escape

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
So I was riding to the store for a bag of cat food this morning. It was nice outside- about 70 degrees. I'm on a divided four lane that snakes through a mixed residential/business type area. Posted 35MPH. I'm cruising along, really happy with my morning ride- then I see him. A motor cop, hiding behind a store front. And just as soon as I was able to see him, I see him buttoning things down in order to ride. So of course I knew what time it was. I looked down and saw to my horror that I was doing 41. Man, it's been forever and a day since I got a ticket. So I took the next side street- it was only like 20 feet ahead. I pulled over and started looking back in my mirror. The motor cop had continued on after a car that was apparently behind me. I hadn't noticed it, so I'm guessing they were hauling *** I went through the parking lot just in time to see the cop dismount and start walking to the car. He waved at me, and I guess he knew I thought it was my ***. What a relief. I wonder if I was really going a lot slower than the car, or did he cut me some slacks? I wonder how often motor cops do that for dudes on bikes? Like, say for instance, all things being equal, if he's picking between a car and a bike, does he cut the bike a break?
No bikes directly involved, but I got pulled over for "bumping" a stop sign and when the guy looked at my license and saw the M endorsement he went "So what do you ride?"
"Softail Nighttrain"
"Sweet bikes. Stop better next time." Handed my license back and walked away.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
As long as you're overthinking the situation, have you considered that this entire episode was the cat's fault?
Originally Posted by frankharley07
My thought exactly!!
+2 on that!

I wish that my biggest quandary today was figuring out why I didn't get pulled over...

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
As long as you're overthinking the situation, have you considered that this entire episode was the cat's fault?

RHPAW, as in Right Hand Paw? Like a DOG'S PAW? Always quick to blame the cat, hunh Mr. Dog? Well, truth to tell, I had just drove to the store in the Pilot looking for a bunch of groceries, but forgot the catfood. We had been out for the last day. They don't really hunt birds for food so much as for sport, it seems. Anyway, yeah, in a roundabout way the damn cats almost cost me a ticket.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
+2 on that!

I wish that my biggest quandary today was figuring out why I didn't get pulled over...
Yeah, me too. I really need to figure out why my *** is still sitting in front of this computer, when I REALLY ought to be mowing a couple of lawns. Screw it, I'm gone-

Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
Like, say for instance, all things being equal, if he's picking between a car and a bike, does he cut the bike a break?

I think it depends --- if you look like the pic in your avatar then I am guessing he is pulling you over - car or bike lol. (just f'kn with ya)

If you look like Joe blow from the suburbs then I think it just depends on the individual cop each time, whether the cop rides or not.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snoopy says "cats are the crab grass in the lawn of life".

Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't really call that a narrow escape. 41 in a 35? You are quite the outlaw.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

I’ve talked to one MC that I know and he said that his magic number is 12mph over. He simply said that is just "his number” any less than that he doesn’t worry about too much, of course that’s pretty much on the highways. I’ve had several MCs pass me and look over and give a thumbs up (same with the guys clocking on the side), others won’t give you the time of day. I think its hit and miss, every MC is different. The next time I see him I’ll ask about the cage versus bike thing…

Last edited by MADHOG; 03-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
I wouldn't really call that a narrow escape. 41 in a 35? You are quite the outlaw.
That is the slowest I'll ever get clocked. Most jurisdictions in WI, give you 8-11 mph over. So I set cruise at 8 over. In some places known as speed traps I'll do the limit.

Last year when I first started using my cruise, I didn't realize the speed will creep up, if you don't let go every once in a while. So I passed a WI state trooper going the other way. I looked down after braking and I was 17 over. Troopers can be strict, but he just pointed down, like slow down. Think there was too much traffic for him to turn around. That was a close call.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

That aint chit...in traffic earlier today and some twit come buzzin uo me **** and cut around me. It was so close as he went by I muttered ***** *&^%$$#@. Caught the next light and pulled up next to him. 300 LB black bubba started sellin out to me who ya callin ***** *&^%$#@. I started laffin, and politely told him wtf would you have done in my situation. Guess he liked my response. Not even half dozen blocks later SUV comes right over into my lane, musta been in her blind spot, I swerved caught the middle lane and flipped her off. Girl changed lanes, slowed down and started apologizin. Now here we are 5 mph talkin to each other, 'its all good darlin' etc....think I could have gotten laid with that 1....laffs

Now I get on down the road and headed into Hyde Park see my bro I havent seen in six months nor talked to. His sister comes out to the gate tells me Darorld got hit cancer died last month.

WTF...thas messed up. Moral of the story as I sit here gettin blitzoid thinkin about my friend is simple: dont lose contact with ya bros. Heres lookin at ya Darold...cheers!

Quick Reply: Another Narrow Escape