General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheen Genie Metal Polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
RedBarone09
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheen Genie Metal Polish

Sucks!! Left swirl marks on my mint condition chrome oil tank...I purchased this stuff at Daytona Bike week. Works good on tarnished metal but if it's already shiny chrome and you're looking to improve on that shine, forget it, this product will leave swirl marks.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Polish should never be used on chrome that is in pristine condition. Best products to shine up good chrome are products like Harley Gloss, Meguire's Quick Detailer, or believe it, or not, Pledge.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM
RedBarone09
2nd Gear

You may be right about the detailer sprays but, all I know is I've used other chrome polishes like Mother's or Meguiar's Chrome polish and never had an issue with these polishes ruining the finish. This Sheen Genie polish (sand paper in a bottle) just completely ruined the finish on my oil tank.
To be fair, I was so shocked I just figured it must have been my fault. Somehow something must be wrong with my cotton applicator. I tested it again on another shiny item ( not on my bike) and it scratched this test piece also.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM
chromebuffer
Stage II

I have used Sheen Genie for over 6 years now and it is my most highly preferred and recommended metal polish. If you received swirl marks that suggest you were polishing in a circular motion and you have to realize metal polish is not a car wax. The applicator in which you were using sounds very abrasive even towels such as terry cloth polishing towels are far to abrasive for soft metals such as chrome. Sheen Genie is a non-abrasive metal polishing compound and if you take your polish and then Sheen Genie and feel the actual chemicals you will clearly notice it being non-abrasive therefore ultimately accepting it can not possibly scratch or leave swirl marks in your finish.

In my experience with working with metal and chrome polishes alike from Mothers billet aluminum polish, Flitz aluminum polish and Nvr-Dull they all contain abrasives not only can you feel the grits you can also notice the heavy black residue which suggest petroleum solvents in the compound. Petroleum solvents are used in abrasive compounds as the base so that your not applying powder directly to your metal. Sheen Genie is water base and contains no oils which is clearly seen by applying the polish to any metal and noticing a very low black residue that does not stick to the surface. This means it's only the oxidation that is turning black and there's no need for oils because there's no abrasive ingredients.

My suggestion to you is to always use a micr-fiber when polishing softer metals such as chrome or if the chrome is not thick or even plastic coated chrome even possibly to go as far as using a cheese/baby cloth to reduce the risk of any hairline scratches caused by the applicator and to much pressure. To remove your current swirl marks use the suggestions above with a much softer towel and apply very little pressure when applying. Last to continue using Sheen Genie's system apply the sealer and let dry, this will fill in any light hair line scratches you created when applying with your cotton applicator.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by chromebuffer
I have used Sheen Genie for over 6 years now and it is my most highly preferred and recommended metal polish. If you received swirl marks that suggest you were polishing in a circular motion and you have to realize metal polish is not a car wax. The applicator in which you were using sounds very abrasive even towels such as terry cloth polishing towels are far to abrasive for soft metals such as chrome. Sheen Genie is a non-abrasive metal polishing compound and if you take your polish and then Sheen Genie and feel the actual chemicals you will clearly notice it being non-abrasive therefore ultimately accepting it can not possibly scratch or leave swirl marks in your finish.

In my experience with working with metal and chrome polishes alike from Mothers billet aluminum polish, Flitz aluminum polish and Nvr-Dull they all contain abrasives not only can you feel the grits you can also notice the heavy black residue which suggest petroleum solvents in the compound. Petroleum solvents are used in abrasive compounds as the base so that your not applying powder directly to your metal. Sheen Genie is water base and contains no oils which is clearly seen by applying the polish to any metal and noticing a very low black residue that does not stick to the surface. This means it's only the oxidation that is turning black and there's no need for oils because there's no abrasive ingredients.

My suggestion to you is to always use a micr-fiber when polishing softer metals such as chrome or if the chrome is not thick or even plastic coated chrome even possibly to go as far as using a cheese/baby cloth to reduce the risk of any hairline scratches caused by the applicator and to much pressure. To remove your current swirl marks use the suggestions above with a much softer towel and apply very little pressure when applying. Last to continue using Sheen Genie's system apply the sealer and let dry, this will fill in any light hair line scratches you created when applying with your cotton applicator.
By any chance do you work for the company? Just curious seeing it is made in Nashville.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
By any chance do you work for the company? Just curious seeing it is made in Nashville.
And first post!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=chromebuffer;9920821] The applicator in which you were using sounds very abrasive even towels such as terry cloth polishing towels are far to abrasive for soft metals such as chrome. [QUOTE]

According to the FAQ's from the company........Use a terry towel or micro fiber towel and........Update: Oct 29, 2010 still zero complaints or returns have been filed at Sheen Genie® headquarters. It's simple: the product(s) WORK amazingly!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,968 Likes on 17,493 Posts

Dude most of those metal polish products have a light abrasive in them and you can't make chrome shine any brighter than it does . Should have read the label maybe ?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Originally Posted by RedBarone09
Sucks!! Left swirl marks on my mint condition chrome oil tank...I purchased this stuff at Daytona Bike week. Works good on tarnished metal but if it's already shiny chrome and you're looking to improve on that shine, forget it, this product will leave swirl marks.

Try Blue Magic metal cream, it’s the only product I use on my shiny bits.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
RedBarone09
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Dude most of those metal polish products have a light abrasive in them and you can't make chrome shine any brighter than it does . Should have read the label maybe ?

Can't improve the shine on chrome? ...I've been shining chrome since I was a kid shining my old Cragar Rims. I'm not denying that polishes contain abrasives but I do know that if it's a good product it will bring out a nice blinding shine without ruining the surface...isn't that the reason we buy these products? I'm just saying that I've shined sh*t before and this sheen genie polish really did a number on my oil tank. There is no way I'm ever going to use this product again.

Quick Reply: Sheen Genie Metal Polish