General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Specific lowering questions

Yes, I did search, I didn't find what I was after, specifically, but there's tons of great info for sure.

I have a 98 FLHP, not thrilled with the ride, feels loose to me. Granted, my last daily rider was a 59 rigid sporty with a 14 over girder, so I know this will feel quite a bit looser on the road, but it's more than I want. I looked at the touring links, and was advised to drop it about an inch. Friend of mine did it and said it tightened up the ride dramatically.

So the questions are:

Lowering blocks vs shocks? I have air front and rear, and a very limited budget. Air shocks I'm seeing in the $250+ range, blocks from Burley, LA, Ness, etc. for about $100. One mechanic I know advised against them, but he tends to run closer to F than E on the bullshit meter.

Second, front air suspension, will the regular drop-ins work, or am I looking at losing my air to go over to lowering springs?

Third, do I need to lower the front, how would lowering the rear only affect the stability feel?

Fourth, should I bypass lowering overall and start with one of the touring links to tighten up the feel?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,922 Likes on 6,260 Posts

Got lowering "blocks" on one bike (White bros.), and 11" progressive 412's on the other. I'm over 6', but I like the way the bikes feel when lowered in the back.

The blocks are cheaper, and mine have been on for tens of thousands of miles.
So far, so good.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 6'1" and have the RKC seat instead of the one that came on the bike, lowered my hind end about an 1-1.5" and narrowed it which made it more comfortable. Stopped, I wouldn't mind it being a bit lower, hell, my 59 had the upper part of my legs parallel to the ground when seated, but I'm mainly looking for a nicer ride. Is it the ride or the standing feel you're liking better?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,922 Likes on 6,260 Posts

Both actually......knees bent when stopped feels like more control and better when backing up. Riding, the rear feels planted and nimble. I often emerge through a long sweeping turn coming out much faster than when I went in. Fun stuff.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
tkorn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just lowered my RG with the blocks, they were 40 bux shipped. It is much easier to move the bike around, and low speed handling has improved. I really like it so far.

do not get the touring link. It does not fix the problem. I got one and did not like it.

This supposedly fixes the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.glide-pro.com/

Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 AM
tkorn
Advanced

After riding with the lowering blocks, I've noticed the belt sprocket is hitting the rear fender.

I would advise against using lowering blocks.

I'm going to get lowered shocks instead.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM
BillM
Road Captain

I am not sure if the Street Glide shocks will lower yours any or not. They are a 12" shock where most FLH's have a 13" shock. Of course this is on the late models. Not sure about a '98 model.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the Harley Touring Profile Low shocks installed yesterday. I have an 04 RG which came with the standard 13" touring shocks. The lowering shocks are an inch shorter like the SG and newer RGCs. So far, the ride seems good. I will need to play around with the pressure settings to find the sweet spot. I have heard good and bad about lowering blocks so I decided to avoid them.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
tkorn
Advanced

Is there any bottoming problem with the short shocks?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Low Profile shocks are the same height as those on a Street Glide. I have never heard of any bottoming out issues.

Quick Reply: Specific lowering questions