General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it okay to touch someone else's bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 PM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash75
I was at a daytime BBQ party type thing with some friends years ago and took my bike. I came around from the back of the house and there is a crowd of people around my bike laughing and joking around as a fukin todler is there sitting on my bike. It seems as if one of the adults there thought their kid would look cute sitting on my bike with his short legs dangling and kicking everything under the seat. I have a bad temper and I flipped the f%$# out. Needless to say, I ended up leaving the party cause after my temper got the best of me, I was no longer welcome there....nor did I want to hang with a bunch of people stupid enough to think that was OK.
shoulda gave that kid a clean jab to the throat that way he doesnt grow up as stupid as his parents

Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 PM
ceekay
Cruiser

I see touching another man's bike as touching another man's woman; you just don't do it!!

But, if the man left his woman in a certain state, and said woman would've died in a few hours had someone not intervened, it would be forgivable....

After all, if my woman was, say, choking on a biscuit and the only way to save her was to squeeze firmly on a certain area of the female anterior torso area (think: those two round things), HELL NO I wouldn't be angry to find out another guy did it! Why? Because I'd have come out of work, and my woman would be ready and waiting in the parking lot, with the keys dangling from..... er... It's not important... Point is: Woman, bike, still alive, ride on.

However, if you'd have done some douche maneuver like hopping on and riding it to the other side of the parking lot, I could see breaking your jaw with a brick being a reasonable course of action...

When it comes to females/bikes, I always follow these seven simple guidelines to ensure my teeth stay where they need to be, I don't get poked with sharp objects, and no small copper objects are introduced to my internal organ systems......

CK's guidelines for proper female/bike etiquette:
1. Don't mess with someone else's female/bike, unless given permission/it is an emergency.
2. Don't sit on someone else's female/bike, unless given permission.
3. Don't start someone else's female/bike. Just don't go there, and you'll keep your teeth...
4. Don't ride someone else's female/bike. It's bad juju.... Now, it's forgiveable to ride someone else's bike if given proper permission and it is just to keep it from seizing up or otherwise not doing well if the owner is gone for an extended period of time (bike-sitting?), but this DOES NOT APPLY TO THE FEMALE... In fact, if someone else tries riding said person's female while they are gone, you should do the right thing and maim said someone for even attempting it.
5. Look, but don't gawk, no matter how pretty the female/bike is... Drooling on a bike/female that doesn't belong to you is usually grounds for a punch to the face.....
6. Always keep at least a 3-4 foot distance from the female/bike... If anything goes awry, you have enough distance to be absolved of any false accusations of wrongdoing.
And finally:
7. NEVER MAKE SEXUAL ADVANCES TOWARD ANOTHER PERSON'S FEMALE/BIKE!!! If you do, you're either gonna get your face caved in, or a psychiatric evaluation, respectively...

- CK

Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Last summer it was extremely hot in OK. One Saturday afternoon I was running errands on my scooter. I came out of a Home Depot and went to my bike, I noticed a Honda parked near by was leaning a little too much. It was so hot, the Honda's kick stand (Jiffy?) was sinking into the asphalt. I up-righted the Honda, moved it forward about 6 inches and put a crushed soda can under the stand. The owner came out and was hot until he realized what I had done. After which, he insisted on buying me a late lunch and a beer.

. . . and if you have to know - the Honda was a Fury.
Thought a Fury was a Chrysler - uh oh, now I'm dated.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Thought a Fury was a Chrysler - uh oh, now I'm dated.

Gotta love the fury its almost cool but noooootttt quite, got a guy talking trash saying he want to race my WG on his fury now i dont know much about furys but i wouldnt think they would be very fast as big as they are with that size engine

Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
I'll throw the "Good Samaritan" card on this one. If touching will prevent bad event (i.e. dead battery) then you're good to go. Now touching (i.e. sitting, moving) without permission's another thread topic...

My thoughts exactly!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would do the same and hope for the same.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kps_Shovel
I never touch anyones car, bike, ever for any reason.... worked at a place for over 20 years, where customers left lights on, engines running, & people got pissed for even the slightest, so no matter what we have been programmed to ignore it, we may make a call over the PA speaker, if they are in our place of business, if not oh well.

people are already sue happy, they will claim you scratched paint, or whatever, & yes where I work, & town I grew up in is plain sorry, & full of sorry people, but because of that, is why, I wouldnt touch anyones bike without permission for anything.
You all officially have my permission to turn off my headlights if I happen to leave them on and I'm not immediately around it. It's the one in my sig.

It isn't likely that it'll happen as I turn off my bike when getting to my destination by the main switch. (I don't use the thumb kill switch on the handlebar controls, to turn it off)

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Robotech
For those who's kneejerk reaction is to say "Never!", please read the scenario below before posting...

I rode into work today and when I arrived, I parked my bike and went into the office. I was here early and was the only bike in parked in the motorcycle parking area where I leave my bike. About two hours later, a call comes into my office stating that someone left their motorcycle's lights on where I park my bike and was it my bike? So I went out to check. Turns out, I hadn't...but at the end of the row of now 5 bikes there was a blue Honda Shadow with it's lights on.

Now, I work at a facility with over 1,000 people. I know some of the people who ride here but I don't know all of them and I didn't know who's Shadow this was. Our campus is made up of many individual buildings and this parking area could be used by at least half the employees in those buildings for parking. Also, they don't deal well with mass e-mails.

So I walked over to the bike and found the keys dangling in the ignition. I reached down and turned the bike off but left the keys there. (Where we work is REALLY safe and the odds of someone taking this bike are very slim.)

As I walked back to my office, I wondered how many people would be offended if someone did this to their bike. I know, personally, I wouldn't be uspest if another rider turned off my bike if I accidentally left the ignition, and thus the lights, on. Saves me a huge headache. I'm currious though how many people would be pissed off if someone touched their bike if they had left it in a similar status.
In your example its OK...then never

Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cactus789
Turning the keys off to prevent someones barttery from draining is not a problem at all, if you would have turned and walked away that would have been a ******** move......but it was a Honda so that would have been forgivable....
I gotta agree with this one (including about it being a Honda)

I once parked in a lot at a restaurant and saw a Fatboy that had been left on, so I simply turned the switch to off.

I don't see that as "touching" someone's bike..not like walking up and sitting on it or even leaning on it. That's just being considerate, like holding a door open for someone who's hands are full.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Common sense .... I've flipped the ignition switch to off many times. A lot of people don't lock theirs and maybe they hit the kill switch and forgot to hit the console switch.
Never had anyone get mad. Mostly thanks.
Other than that, never touch or sit on another man's bike. Could get a helmet upside the head.

Quick Reply: When is it okay to touch someone else's bike?