General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying for less than MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Molly55
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see lots of folks suggesting paying cash. I've always found it better to finance because the dealer can get a spiff from the lender which let's him require less profit on the bike. Then pay it off if you want next month.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM
ghawthorn
Cruiser

I got a hell of a deal on a 12 Fatboy. Only reason is because I am Military and bought mine through the mil sales in Kandahar Afghanistan. Since I live in AK, my bike was selling for 19k and change up here. Got mine for 15.5k. Play the game and with perseverance, you will find whats the best thing for ya. G

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 AM
AFHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
It depends on far far you are willing to travel and I guarantee you can get a bike for under MSRP. Shop the internet for best price and you'll get it

I'd also try Colorado Springs, and Pueblo...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dschock
New to the forum and first post. I will definitely be here often and hopefully contributing soon. I'm not a HD owner yet but hope to be riding a Street Glide very shortly. I found a site that says the 2012 Street Glide dealer invoice is 15,599 on a 19,499 MSRP. Nobody wants to pay MSRP, but I have no idea if I can expect to do any better. Can I expect to knock some dollars off and if so, any thoughts on how much? I know a lot of factors come into play here. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I live in Denver, CO if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

dave
Welcome to the forum, Dave! You'll get a lot of good information on here-I have. The purchase of a new bike is only the first step on a long and rewarding journey.

Congrats on the new SG! Post a pic.

Ride safe!

Mike

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-24-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: OP had already bought a new SG.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by TCooper4653
2013's are coming out in a couple of months, could be a good time to get a deal on a 2012.
Ding, ding, ding, ding…we have a winner! It's a lot more than "it could be" a good time to buy a 2012, it's the best time.

With 2013 models on the showroom floor, dealers want to dump that 2012 inventory most ricky tick. If that 2012 model is so in demand, why is it still sitting on the showroom floor?

You should be able to get at least $2K off of MSRP on any 2012 model, especially if it is a tough model or color to sell. I got $2.5K off MSRP on my Street Glide when the next model year came out…and that was on a denim black model (a very popular color).

To the OP, be patient and persistent. If a dealer won't play ball, screw him, and find another that will. Use the internet to search for the best price.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
DaytonaDan
Advanced

I purchased my 2012 ultra limited from Seminole Harley in Sanford FL on December 30th I paid 19,143 it was listed for 25,500. Deals are out there

Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the 09 flstc I am riding now after all the fees and taxes were added in for less than the msrp. Also got a tee shirt and the 1000 ml service. Just be ready to get up and walk away. I walked out of 2 different dealerships before I bought this last one.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
harleyquest
Advanced

Well I'm the new owner of a 2012 Street Glide. I rented one today and put about 400 miles on it to make sure that was it (I knew after the first 20). I told them wasn't going to buy today but they wanted to try to sell me anyway. I low balled them at $2500 below MSRP and was ready to walk a few times. I really didn't think they'd take it but they finally did. Thanks for the great advice. It really helped me hold my ground.

dave
Nice job! I thought I did well yesterday when I got my 2012 fatboy lo at $350 above MSRP, out the door.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser

I know it may sound like a joke but I when i bought my Wide Glide i told the salesman i was looking at a honda fury he said if you get the Harley instead i will know 1000 bucks off right now and he did so i bought the harley " Which I was gonna buy anyway" lol True Story

Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm the new owner of a 2012 Street Glide. I rented one today and put about 400 miles on it to make sure that was it (I knew after the first 20). I told them wasn't going to buy today but they wanted to try to sell me anyway. I low balled them at $2500 below MSRP and was ready to walk a few times. I really didn't think they'd take it but they finally did. Thanks for the great advice. It really helped me hold my ground.

dave
Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats and enjoy the new SG.

Quick Reply: Buying for less than MSRP?