General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need helmet advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Glxn26
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need helmet advice!

Hey all. Long time reader, first time poster. Let me start by saying thanks to all for the great posts answering almost all of my questions. But here's one I couldn't find.

I typically don't wear a helmet here in Wisconsin. But as I get older, I'm starting to think that it's a good idea. Not only that, but we are going to North Carolina in may, and of course, they have a helmet law. So yesterday I decided to get my first helmet. I read some posts and thought the half helmet would be right for me. I bought an HD half in black, and the gal at West Bend Harley asked a couple questions about how it fit me. It felt ok in the store. No real pressure on the head, seemed taunt, so I thought all was well. I put it on and rode away. Got on the highway, and felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my head. I'm not even sure how to put it into words, but it felt like this thing was just throttling my brain. I had about a 2.5 hour ride home from there, and only made it 20 minutes wearing this helmet. I pulled over, put it in my tour pack, and kept going. I won't be able to do that when I take my trip. Did I put it on wrong? Is it something I just have to get used to? Has anyone else experienced this, and what was your fix?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
jaysledge
Tourer

Never heard of that problem, I ride with half helmet solo, full face with OL because of the comm equipment. Not sure what you mean by eyes popping out of your head on the highway, did the helmet seem like it was lifting up with the increased wind speeds. I doubt you put a helmet on wrong, especially since the store personnel helped fit you with it. Maybe you had it on too tight?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it back!

You ride with a windshield? What kind of bike?
I've never had any helmet ever work well with a windshield. I do have KW Flare on order to see if that helps.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also use the Harley half helmet. I wear a bandana under it. It is snug and doesn't bother me anymore.

When I first got it, at highway speeds it seemed like it was tight around the neck. But now I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me

Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Glxn26
Stage III

Ultra Classic Limited. Eyes popping out of my head was an expression because I really don't know how to explain it. It was maybe lifting a little, but felt more of a side to side type motion. I tried tilting the helmet forward to try to create a downward type pressure. No help from that.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that I've experienced that. I also have a Limited, with a 9" Clearview shield (look over the top). I have both a HD half helmet and a Shark convertible (full face or half). Neither one causes me any discomfort.

Sounds, to me, like the fit (or style) is not correct. Not all helmets fit the same types of heads.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
ahern25
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only time I felt that way was because the helmet was to tight and put pressure on my temple causing my eyes to bug out. I just got a bigger helmet and that fixed it. I have found I need a helmet to fit snug enough to move a bit but not flop around in the wind. The bad part is we all have different shaped heads so what works for me may not work for u. Most is trail and error. Hope that helps.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

If wearing a helmet were easy...everyone would do it.

Damn, I crack myself up. Seriously, I also have the HD half helmet and you gotta push it down pretty hard and then cinch her up. Yeah, it's louder than my FF or 3/4 but it just gets too damn humid here in the summer, so I use the half.

It takes a little getting used to. But then, so would a full neck brace if you ever went down without a helmet.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I cannot wear a half helm on the highway without a shield: It nearly rips my head off if I don't keep it pointed down. Is this what you're getting?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Do a search under "buffeting". In a nutshell, fork baffle, fairing wind deflector, lowers all help to some degree. I don't think taller windshield is the answer, as most of the air you're experiencing comes from underneath, around the front of the gas tank.

One quick experiment, while you're riding with your helmet on, squeeze your legs tight against the gas tank, and hold out your left arm across your chest, if that cut down on buffeting, you know the air is rushing behind the fairing to replace the air pushed out by the front.

BTW, I don't think you can return the helmet. That's HD dealers rule. Also, when you're trying a new helmet on, it should feel tighter, as they will "grow" about 1/2 size upon usage. I have 2 helmets that loosen up after 1-2 years, I learned my lesson.

Quick Reply: Need helmet advice!