General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Wear Aerostitch At All?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

THANK YOU ALL very much. I do mean that but the question was more like "why" use aerostitch or for that matter 1st Gear at all? Other than the convenience if it starts to rain u do not need to suit up.

I am covered hear to toe when going long distance and do not find the NEED for the stitch or 1st gear. ??? So IF I stop at all when it rains it is to suit up. No big deal.

So "WHY" consider the other 2 above at all??

I feel DUMB and missing something here.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM
spelk3
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aerostitch is a very sturdy over-suit. You can wear it over your nice clothes for commuting.

I tend to be a ATGATT kind of person, only been on a Harley for the last couple of my 40 years riding (last bike was a BMW). I've been down in the past and don't feel comfortable without my gear regardless of the length of the ride.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by spelk3
I've got a leather jacket (with CE armor and back protection) I use in the winter with Tourmaster Flex overpants. I also have a mesh jacket for warmer weather. I just picked up a Flex jacket (since I really liked the pants) that I haven't used yet due to hand surgery keeping me off the bike at the moment. I like the Flex stuff, it works well in a very wide range of temperatures. The outer shell zips off to reveal a mesh garment underneath, there is also a removable thermal liner and they are fairly water resistant with the outer shell in place.
I've been wearing the Flez 2 jacket for 5 years now and it's great!. I got the flex pant 4 years ago. I wear it in the winter, but not always in the summer. It's is very cooling in the summer though with all the liners off and wind blowing through the mesh. It's has a much better cooling effect than jeans. I just wished the outer zip on layer was waterproof like the Jacket instead of having a waterproof inner liner making ytou take the pants off to put on.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a full gear rider and I am also a person who does a ton of research on things. With gear it is always a balance between cost, protection, ease of use, how long it will last, and how versatile it is.
From all I have read aerostich is top notch at protection, ease of use, durability and to get that it is expensive. All of us rider do our own risk assessment of what we are willing to tolerate. Knock on wood that NONE of us will have to test our gear or that our test will be at the level our gear is able to handle.
Personally I have had less expensive gear (scorpion, field sheer) and it was fine. But at the end of year I decided to match the quaily of my helmet and boots (helmet Shoei and boots sidi) with better textile gear. I went with motoport which like aerostitch is very $$$ but is great protection, custom made (I sent them jeans to copy plus a ton of measurements for the pants and a ton of measurements for the jacket), and it will last at least a decade. I am super glad I did but had survived 30K miles in cheaper gear. My hubby rides his bike with a fake helmet and nothing else. I figure it is his decision. There is NO right answer just what works for you. That said there is a difference between mid range gear and the high end gear in protection. So you need to decide what you are comfortable with and use that as a guide for what you buy. I would say if you are in the south and want high level protection you should at least look at motoport mesh kelvar since that will handle your heat the best with top protection http://www.motoport.com/.