General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI..bullshit? or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
SkullSquadron
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI..bullshit? or legit?

i was looking into going to MMI to be a harley mechanic but the more i looked into it the more it seemed like they were just out to take my money for nothing. but i have a couple of friends who have signed up already and they keep telling me it's legit, and the best way to start. are there any alumni for mmi who could give me a bit of insight on the school and if it's worth the 26k?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you already have a strong mechanical and technical aptitude? I ask this because I work in a field where we hire a lot of people from tech schools like ITT or Devry. They spend top dollar on these 2 to 4 year tech schools. But most of them just don't have the natural mechanical or technical aptitude to perform well in real world situations. Just throwing this out there, that no matter how good the schooling, if you don't have some sort of knack for it, you will never get it. Just some food for thought. Good luck with your career choice.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

There are two prerequisites required to make it worth 26k.
  • You must get a student loan
  • Obama needs to be re-elected so he can forgive your loan
Otherwise, it's probably not worth it.

Ok now seriously, 26k is a lot of money to spend on training for such a low paying career. If it's something you really want to do then go for it. But think about how you're going to pay the tuition, or the student loan payments, on a not so great salary.

When I was younger, just out of high school, I went to an automotive college. At that time, if I remember correctly the one year tuition was about $1.5k and you could come out and make around 10k/year. In your case the tuition is 26k and you'd be lucky to come out and get a job paying that per year.

If you do the math you can see how much easier it was when I was growing up.

EDIT: Captain Smooth makes a really good point.

Last edited by 2black1s; 05-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM
SkullSquadron
6th Gear

i suppose i do? i learned how to work on my old bike by myself. it was a 1978 honda cb. i worked on the carbs myself, changed the tires, brakes, etc. so i guess i didnt do anything too fancy.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

B.S. Get a shop helper job and work your way up! If ya got skills and doing this to learn some more than go for it but dont expect a golden ticket when your done.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s

Ok now seriously, 26k is a lot of money to spend on training for such a low paying career. If it's something you really want to do then go for it. But think about how you're going to pay the tuition, or the student loan payments, on a not so great salary.

When I was younger, just out of high school, I went to an automotive college. At that time, if I remember correctly the one year tuition was about $1.5k and you could come out and make around 10k/year. In your case the tuition is 26k and you'd be lucky to come out and get a job paying that per year.

LOL ....2black1s, I gave almost that identical speech to my neighbors kid the other day about cost of schooling versus potential income from it. Very good point.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is according to a friend of mine that is a certified HD mechanic.....

He says years back it was a gret program and you would have a job right after graduation. He says now, with all the dealerships closing, that you may have a hard time finding a job when you graduate and it could be a total waste of money. He opened up his own shop after working for the local HD dealerships and gets at least one call every week from all over the united states of grads looking for a job.
Something to think about in this economy.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s

Good points! I went to a heavy equipment school and it had a good ROR for what it cost but took a long time to crawl up the ladder.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

You guys make it suck for a new-come to try! Some will succeed. We did it! Never pose doubt.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

When compared to education costs in other fields lice medical care that cost vs return seems very high. For example, my wife's nursing school costs approx 11k and took 2 years. She made over 80k her first year out of school. My career (firefighter/paramedic) nowadays costs about 8-9k and starting pay is about 50k/year with great benefits. For $26k you could probably find something with better pay that you will enjoy.

Quick Reply: MMI..bullshit? or legit?