General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk my wife into riding her own

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMojo
My wife is taking the MSF class in a couple weeks. I'm taking it with her to support her and to see if I have any bad habits to work out. So, maybe offer to take the class with her.
+1 Took the course with my wife for support.
Last year we did a 1570 mile trip together.Best vacation ever.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shoemaker
+1 Took the course with my wife for support.
Last year we did a 1570 mile trip together.Best vacation ever.
I asked my husband not to be at my class. I think I did better without him being there. Not sure how to explain it but it was just something I had to do on my own. I didn't get any fight out of him, he understood. I barely passed, but I passed and that's all that matters. I think I would have been more pressured to do well if he had been there. Glad it worked out for you though.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If she is timid about riding get her on one of the 49cc scooters and get her used to riding around obstacles on that. Then if she handles that, enroll her into an MSF course. The jump from a scooter to a motorcycle should not be as bad as long as she is comfortable with riding the smaller scooter. Just a thought. Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife passed the class with flying colors, we bought her a 1200 low, she moved up to an 09 Superglide. I was very proud of her but.......I could not relax when she was on it, if she didn't come around a corner when I thought she should, well you get it.I spent all my time looking in the mirrors.
I NEVER told her how much I worried, but she sold her bike last week and just wants to be my passenger, and I'm OK with that.

Mark

Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

My wife always enjoyed riding 2-up, but had no interest in riding. I'd suggest she sit on bikes at the dealer, but she wasn't really interested. Then one day she said she wanted a bike...a Ducati...

At first I thought she was crazy, but we did a lot of research and it turned out that the model she wanted (Monster 696) was actually a great bike to learn on. Small, light, and a manageable V-twin torque based motor...plus it was what she actually wanted and made her excited to ride.

She took the MSF, passed and a two weeks later we bought the bike. She's been riding three years now and loves it. It has been a real blast adding motorcycles to the list of things we share. It does double your motorcycle expenses (we take turns on upgrades and mods), but the fun far outweighs the cost. Plus a wife who really "gets it" is priceless.

The anxiety of watching your loved one ride off on her own bike is a real wake up call to what she's put up with you riding off into distance all these years. You sure hope they come back in one piece and you know it is totally out of your hands. Makes you appreciate her even more..and how much she lets you get away with all the years she let you ride without complaint.

I guess I'd say don't "convince" her. She'll figure it out. The MSF is a great idea and might help her decide if it's right for her.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Kgreen
Stage I

I took the MSF course only because my daughter didn't want to go alone. I passed the class and started riding my daughters bike only so I wouldn't lose what I learned. I realized the more I rode her bike the more I was really excited about riding. After about three months riding my daughters bike I wanted my own. In October 2011 my husband surprised me with a sportster and I am so happy my daughter talked me into taking the class with her.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been trying to get the old lady to ride her own ride. But she won't even drive a a stick shift car.

But she loves riding on the back of my bike.I like riding with her, but i LOVE riding alone. How do I get her off my bike, and on her own bike ?????????????????

Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dynhd1
be careful what you wish for ( HaHa) mine has had 3 in the last 10 years, Beull blast , sportster , and a ridley chopper. Fun but double the upkeep plus your always looking in your rear view mirror!
+1.

Really proud of my gal though.

She's been riding about 3 years now and really enjoys it but she had absolutely no interest in the beginning. What turned her around?. Not really sure. I remember telling her it would be a good idea if she knew how to ride in case something happened to me and she had to go for help .

But I think a big turning point for her was when she watched the Ride Like a Pro video where she saw these petite women handling big Harleys like they were scooters. I think that gave her the confidence to take a rider's course and go on to get her own bike.

But like dynhd1 says, be careful what you wish for. It's double the expense and double the worry.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
+1.

Really proud of my gal though.

But like dynhd1 says, be careful what you wish for. It's double the expense and double the worry.
I almost feel guilty at times now.I'm so confident with her ability I rarely check my mirrors for her.
That and the Rush slipons that let me hear her back there.She's addicted to riding and we rarely pass up an opportunity.Going for a quart of milk can take 1/2 the day

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

I've always asked myself how I would feel if after encouraging someone to ride, they were killed or crippled.

Quick Reply: Talk my wife into riding her own