General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Don't you Ride to Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been commuting to work for 7 years. I think a lot of riders avoid heavy traffic commuting because of the dangers.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I work 5 minutes from my house & do ride to work some days, but limit it unless I'm going to go for a longer ride or go somewhere after work on the bike. I go home for lunch every day also. 5 minutes each way isn't enough time to even get the oil heated up, so that is why I don't do it everyday...in my case it wound't be good for the engine to run it for 5 minutes & shut it down 4 times/day. If I do ride to work, I usually will get on it after lunch & ride back to work, then go for a longer ride after work.

Good thing is that although it is in gravel, I have a designated spot to park my bike at work...one side is a metal building & the other side has steel guard posts so my bike is protected & it's just a big enough area for my bike to fit in & nothing else. The building is to the south, so bike is also in the shade in the afternoon.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really like to ride in the city. My commute would take me into the bowels of a big city, traffic is stop and go and I would hate the ride. I prefer to take the train and read on my commute as it's more relaxing.

If I lived and worked in a small town or city with no traffic then I would.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Dailydriver06
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
I run a tool truck all day...I don't mind, it provides for the family...the idea of looking forward to another means of transportation after parking the truck is good.

Sometimes I get lost on the way to work.

sometimes I just need to collect some money owed to me

And sometime I deliver tools with an attitude...just an attitude it doesn't mean its a bad attitude.
Love the Equine-Glide!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
FatJay
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takes me 45min-1hr to get to work, and it's only 12 miles away. With an air cooled motor, and no air... well, you know how that works. Still, I like to ride fridays and leave early or late to avoid the traffic.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It's 1.8 miles to work. Not worth the hassle of worrying about all of the idiots knocking my bike over in the lot.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could ride to work. I have a company car that use through out my work day. I do however come home on lunch to ride!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Call me whoosy.

Ice with keep the bike home, snow also, so will heavy rains.
While some may enjoy sitting at their desk all day dripping water, I find it kind of annoying.

And while years back I made it from the liquor store to the house with an 8 gallon keg in my lap, I'm not as young as I used to be and the kegs have a tendency to fall off my lap and start rolling down the street.
If nothing else, it's embarrassing.

So ya, I'm a fair weather rider.

Al

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my transmission is leaking....bad. i can't f'ing believe how much it costs me to drive my truck 25 miles a day. i've been riding to work 95+% of the time for the last 6 years. i gotta get my bike fixed.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

I ride to work whenever I can pretty much year round. Being able to take the HOV is a big plus and the Navy base has motorcycle parking.

Quick Reply: Why Don't you Ride to Work?