General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I WANT / NEED YOUR 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WANT / NEED YOUR 2 cents

Hey all,

Soon, I will be the proud new owner of a 2012 Electa Glide Ultra Limited, and there are a few things I need input on, considering this will be my first HD I was thinking of buying the Pre-paid maintenance plan from the dealership, also I am getting the 3yr extended warranty (thrown in for free). I think I want to add the stage 1 kit into it right away, but not really knowing where to start? I do know once you start pouring money into it, it is hard to stop. I don't want to go completely crazy with it yet but I would like some pipes with a bit deeper throaty sound but nothing too obnoxious where all my neighbors get pissed at me when I start my bike up at 5am, but something that says "get the hell out of my way" or "hear I am" while on the highways. Like I said I am getting the ext. warranty so I need to make sure it will not void it.

Thanks, and looking forward to hitting the road on my new baby soon, ugh the wait is killing me!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get used to your new bike before making a bunch of changes.

A prepaid service plan blows when you are on a road trip.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

I was "told" that if I get the Pre-paid plan I could take it to any HD dealership and have it serviced at no cost. Is there no truth to this or did I mis-understand what I was told?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Warranty's and maintenance plans are subject to personal preference.

I have never bought an extended warranty on anything I've ever bought. If it was free, I would take it though, although I'd rather have a few extra goodies instead.

The prepaid maintenance is money upfront in their pocket before the work is done. Most times they add it into your financing which you are paying extra interest on, and increasing your monthly payment. If you feel you can't or won't be able to pay for service as it happens, I guess it's a good thing. You can't or won't do the work yourself?

The last time my bike was at the dealer was on delivery day 4 years ago.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't do a stage 1 right off the bat. I would do an exhaust header with the mufflers of your choice, an increased air flow filter, tuner, then do a dyno tune. A stage 1 can be a waste of money if you plan on doing these mods later on, and most of us do. The advantage to this is getting rid of the catalitic converter a large source of heat while riding. The tune will make the engine much better than a stage 1 tune.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Warranty's and maintenance plans are subject to personal preference.

I have never bought an extended warranty on anything I've ever bought. If it was free, I would take it though, although I'd rather have a few extra goodies instead.

The prepaid maintenance is money upfront in their pocket before the work is done. Most times they add it into your financing which you are paying extra interest on, and increasing your monthly payment. If you feel you can't or won't be able to pay for service as it happens, I guess it's a good thing. You can't or won't do the work yourself?

The last time my bike was at the dealer was on delivery day 4 years ago.
It was just one of the things offered, it was the $700 Ext. warranty or $250 in store credit, I figured it was the better deal... I have not priced the Pre-paid plan yet but from what I have been seeing over the internet it is time limited, and if it is only good for 3 years I just might say "no thank you" my current Bike which is a 2000 has less than 28k on it, and I bought it new with less than 1 mile on it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

If you do a bunch of mods right off the bat, you'll end up changing them down the road and waste all that money. There's no hurry. Ride for a while, get used to the bike and it will tell you what you want to do next.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

This all makes good sense, I don't want to make the dealership sound like they are dis-honest in any way shape or form, BUT what I was told that if I wanted to put any replacement parts it all had to be screamin eagle stuff like the pipes and air filter and it had to be done with-in 500 mile in order to keep and not void the manufactures warranty. I am not sure if this is another way of selling their stuff and keep you from getting something better priced??

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have stop going with a stage one down load and go right to the SERT with a can map off the bat, from there you have amny more options with your future mods. In the long run you save money.

But rided the bike first before you do any major mods incuding slip ons.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything included on your bike when it goes through Pre-Delivery Inspection at the Dealer before they hand over the keys (and itemised on your receipt) will be covered by the warranty.

Anything added after that time will not, but may be covered by an individual warranty that applies to that item specifically. For example: you add a bunch of bells and whistles before you roll off the lot - they are covered under the bike's warranty.

You later add a Kuryakyn doodad. That doodad is not covered with everything else, but Kuryakyn might give it a years warranty all by itself. Thing is, if that doodad causes something else to fail, you might have an argument with the dealer brewing - "We're not covering your failed crank pin because the doodad you added failed and caused it."

Quick Reply: I WANT / NEED YOUR 2 cents